HELP! Un-editable Carriage Returns in Footnotes

Old May 28th 17, 07:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

Default HELP! Un-editable Carriage Returns in Footnotes

Almost 5 years, and this is still the best answer on the Interwebz for this. Thanks Peter!
Old May 28th 17, 07:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 2:32:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Almost 5 years, and this is still the best answer on the Interwebz for this. Thanks Peter!

;-)
Old September 14th 17, 07:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
arby

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 2:51:37 PM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 2:32:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Almost 5 years, and this is still the best answer on the Interwebz for this. Thanks Peter!

;-)

But how about when there is a stray return in only one footnote and I cannot delete or even click on it and it cannot be found in the footnote separator line as described above?
Old September 15th 17, 02:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Maybe you marked a footnote reference Hidden Text?

Maybe the one you can't select is an actual footnote-ender and the _other_ one is the stray paragraph mark.

Old September 15th 17, 05:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 9:48:07 PM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Maybe you marked a footnote reference Hidden Text?

Maybe the one you can't select is an actual footnote-ender and the _other_ one is the stray paragraph mark.

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 2:49:32 PM UTC-4, arby wrote:
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 2:51:37 PM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 2:32:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Almost 5 years, and this is still the best answer on the Interwebz for this. Thanks Peter!

;-)

But how about when there is a stray return in only one footnote and I cannot delete or even click on it and it cannot be found in the footnote separator line as described above?

I have footnote 8, 9, 10 on one page with a stray hard return after (on the following line) footnote 10. I cannot get to that hard return. If I create a page break to force footnote 10 to the next page, footnote 10 appears just above footnote 11 and the stray hard return is gone (from the original page and did not move with fn #10 to the next).?. I do not know what is happening here.
Old September 15th 17, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Is it in the footer?

Is it interfering with the page layout? If not, leave it be.

Old September 18th 17, 12:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 1:21:16 PM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
[...]

Not in the footer and seemingly not affecting layout, mostly a bothersome unknown.

Old November 5th 17, 06:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

Not working for me - been to draft view, deleted the footnote separator and still have a paragraph mark before, after and even sometimes in the middle and when I try to delete them it tells me its an invalid request

Old November 5th 17, 08:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

You can't "delete" a footnote separator. You can only edit it.

The paragraph marks you can't delete are the marks marking the ends of footnotes.

You need to find in the text the places where there are footnotes even if (somehow)
their reference-numbers have disappeared.