Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarownIOM MarownIOM is offline

Default Style formatting applies to Page Breaks (pror page has bad formatt

Styles and Page breaks show formatting on the prior page.

Follow these steps to reproduce the behavior:
1. Create a new document
2. Click Format and select "Styles and Formatting"
3. Right-Click on Heading 1 and select Modify
4. Click the Format button and select Border
5. Click the Shading tab
6. Select any color except white
7. Click OK
8. Click OK (you should be back to the top of the document)
9. Type Hello
10. apply the "Heading 1" style
11. Hit [Home] (to move the cursor to the beginning of the line)
12. Type [Ctrl] + [Enter] (to create a page break)

You now have two pages, the first page has an empty gray bar, the second
page has a gray bar with the word Hello in it.

I realize the formatting is applied to the break which is on the prior page;
however, since this is a non-printable formatting code it should not have a
style applied to it.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can work around the issue by using "Page break before" paragraph
formatting instead of a manual page break.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MarownIOM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pwscott pwscott is offline

Default Style formatting applies to Page Breaks (pror page has bad for

Word 2003
I typed a sentence, highlighted the sentence, formatted the paragraph,
checked page break before, and then chose a style. No page break appeared
before the title and the paragraph was the style I chose. Then I created a
page break, cleared all formatting, re-highlighted the sentence now on the
second page, reformatted the paragraph, choosing page break before, chose a
style. Both the sentence and page break were the same style. This is a very
annoying problem. The only solution I have is to place a blank line above
the title line and make it point size 3 (to save space) and then the page
break does not take on the style of the title.

"MarownIOM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you apply the style, which does not contain the "Page break before"
formatting, you are undoing what you just did. Apply the style first, then
the PBB formatting, or add the PBB formatting to the style itself. If you
insert a manual page break (using Ctrl+Enter or Insert | Break), it *will*
have the style of the following paragraph; you cannot change that, but you
can work around it by using PBB instead of a manual page break.

"MarownIOM" wrote in message
[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pwscott pwscott is offline

Hi Suzanne,

This worked great, I really appreciate the information. It has saved a lot
of aggravation and helped our whole department!

Pam

"MarownIOM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad you finally grasped the concept!

"MarownIOM" wrote in message
[...]

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the
"I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow