Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JHTIK

Default How to make one large letter per 81/2x11 page top to bottom?

I am tryping to make one large letter that is as big as an 8 1/2xll. I want
to use it as a stencil to create lettering on a very large sign. I can't get
the letter to begin at the top of the page. No matter what I do or my niece
does the top of the letter begins about 2 1/2 inches from the top of the
page. I tried putting the letter in a text box and the letter still starts
down to low to fit in the box. I am using about a 800-850 font size so these
are really big letters. I did this last year and made two signs. I can't get
started on the signs until I make the indiviudal letter templates.
I tried dragging the test box past the margins which are set at max size. I
didn't print that out. I wanted to wait to see what my niece said. She
couldn't help me either. HOw can I make the letters big and still fit on the
page one letter per page.
Spelling out the word information on an 8' long sign.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to make one large letter per 81/2x11 page top to bottom?

To make one large letter per 8 1/2 x 11 page top to bottom, you can follow these steps:
  1. Open a new Microsoft Word document.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Text Box" button and select "Draw Text Box."
  4. Click and drag your mouse to create a text box that covers the entire page.
  5. Type the letter you want to use as your stencil inside the text box.
  6. Highlight the letter and increase the font size to 800-850.
  7. Click on the "Layout Options" button that appears next to the text box.
  8. Select "In Front of Text" and then "Fix Position on Page."
  9. Click and drag the text box to the top of the page, making sure the top of the letter is at the very top of the page.
  10. Print out the page and use it as your stencil for creating lettering on your sign.

If the letter still starts too low on the page, you can try adjusting the margins of the document. To do this, click on the "Page Layout" tab at the top of the screen, click on "Margins," and select "Custom Margins." From there, you can adjust the top margin to make more space at the top of the page for your letter stencil.

I hope this helps you create your letter stencils and complete your sign project!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

Use Word Art to create a letter. Place it on the page and set the layout to
'in front of text' You can then drag it to fill as much of the page as your
printer can handle.

JHTIK wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rae Drysdale

I have tried this, and the only way I could accomplish what you want is using
WordArt. I'll be interested to see what other ways there are.
--
Rae Drysdale

"JHTIK" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz

Another option - Select the typed character, cut, then use Paste Special -
Picture(Enhanced Metafile).

FYI - you're running into the problem because the *text* characters are
designed to include line spacing proportional to the font size, which Word
doesn't have the capability of overriding effectively. You could use
FormatParagraph - Line Spacing set to Exactly and use a point size
*smaller* than the font size (i.e., if font size = 850, use Line Spacing =
800), but this is a guessing game.
--
HTH|:)
Bob Jones