Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nathan_shih nathan_shih is offline

Default Files lost in RAR archive?

I accidentally was working with my DOC file in a RAR archive. I clicked on
the Save icon button in Word. When I reopened the archive my changes were not
saved. Is this a general no no? Does anyone know if the file is actually
saved someplace else when I clicked on the save icon button in Word? Please
help. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If you didn't explicitly extract the file from the archive before
editing it, then the changes you made were saved to a temporary
folder. That folder was probably deleted when you closed the archive.
Yes, that's a general no-no -- not as common as editing an email
attachment without saving it to disk, but in the same class.

Use the extract command in WinRAR or whatever archive program you
have, and save the uncompressed file to disk. Edit that, close it, and
recompress it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman