miraglo

Default TOC queries

Could someone kindly help with 2 queries about creating a TOC in Word 97 ?

1) Is there some way to apply a predefined style to a particular type of
paragraph that occurs frequently throughout a very long existing Word
document, rather than highlighting and applying the style to every
occurrence one at a time?

2) Can I change a TOC's chosen format without deleting the TOC and starting
again?

--
Thanks
miraglo

If you have Word 2002 or 2003 and have "Keep track of formatting" enabled
(Tools | Options | Edit), you can use Select All to select all paragraphs
with the same formatting and then apply a style to them. In earlier versions
you'd need to use Find and Replace to do this.

If you right-click on the TOC and choose Edit Field, you can make changes to
the TOC setup. You can also modify TOC styles directly.

"miraglo" wrote in message
Could someone kindly help with 2 queries about creating a TOC in Word 97 ?

1) Is there some way to apply a predefined style to a particular type of
paragraph that occurs frequently throughout a very long existing Word
document, rather than highlighting and applying the style to every
occurrence one at a time?

2) Can I change a TOC's chosen format without deleting the TOC and

starting
again?

--
Thanks
miraglo

miraglo

Sorry I should have said -- Word 97.

Re my first question -- thanks, Find and Replace did the trick great!

Re 2nd question -- there's no Edit Field in my right-click menu, but it's no
problem to delete the TOC and create a new one.

Many thanks
miraglo
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
| If you have Word 2002 or 2003 and have "Keep track of formatting" enabled
| (Tools | Options | Edit), you can use Select All to select all paragraphs
| with the same formatting and then apply a style to them. In earlier
versions
| you'd need to use Find and Replace to do this.
|
| If you right-click on the TOC and choose Edit Field, you can make changes
| the TOC setup. You can also modify TOC styles directly.
|
| --
| Suzanne S. Barnhill
| Microsoft MVP (Word)
| Words into Type
| Fairhope, Alabama USA
| Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
| Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
| all may benefit.
|
| "miraglo" wrote in message
| Could someone kindly help with 2 queries about creating a TOC in Word 97
?

| 1) Is there some way to apply a predefined style to a particular type
of
| paragraph that occurs frequently throughout a very long existing Word
| document, rather than highlighting and applying the style to every
| occurrence one at a time?
|
| 2) Can I change a TOC's chosen format without deleting the TOC and
| starting
| again?
|

| --
| Thanks
| miraglo

Thanks for confirming that "Edit Field" is a new wrinkle. I was feeling like
a dummy for not having previously discovered it. The only problem with
deleting a TOC and adding a new one is that deleting an old one doesn't
delete the bookmarks that are created when you generate a TOC. If you are
wanting to apply one of the built-in templates (Elegant, Contemporary, or
whatever) to the TOC, then you have no choice but to go back to the TOC
dialog. Anything else can be accomplished by customizing the TOC 1, TOC 2,
etc., styles, which is much easier to do in Word 97 than in Word 2002/2003,
FWIW. You can also accomplish a lot by hand editing the TOC field; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm

"miraglo" wrote in message
Sorry I should have said -- Word 97.

Re my first question -- thanks, Find and Replace did the trick great!

Re 2nd question -- there's no Edit Field in my right-click menu, but it's

no
problem to delete the TOC and create a new one.

Many thanks
miraglo
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
| If you have Word 2002 or 2003 and have "Keep track of formatting"

enabled
| (Tools | Options | Edit), you can use Select All to select all

paragraphs
| with the same formatting and then apply a style to them. In earlier
versions
| you'd need to use Find and Replace to do this.
|
| If you right-click on the TOC and choose Edit Field, you can make

changes
| the TOC setup. You can also modify TOC styles directly.
|
| --
| Suzanne S. Barnhill
| Microsoft MVP (Word)
| Words into Type
| Fairhope, Alabama USA
| Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
| Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the

newsgroup
so
| all may benefit.
|
| "miraglo" wrote in message
| Could someone kindly help with 2 queries about creating a TOC in Word

97
?

| 1) Is there some way to apply a predefined style to a particular type
of
| paragraph that occurs frequently throughout a very long existing Word
| document, rather than highlighting and applying the style to every
| occurrence one at a time?
|
| 2) Can I change a TOC's chosen format without deleting the TOC and
| starting
| again?
|

| --
| Thanks
| miraglo

miraglo

Thanks Suzanne, I'll take a closer look at those switches etc when I find
the time.

miraglo
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
| Thanks for confirming that "Edit Field" is a new wrinkle. I was feeling
like
| a dummy for not having previously discovered it. The only problem with
| deleting a TOC and adding a new one is that deleting an old one doesn't
| delete the bookmarks that are created when you generate a TOC. If you are
| wanting to apply one of the built-in templates (Elegant, Contemporary, or
| whatever) to the TOC, then you have no choice but to go back to the TOC
| dialog. Anything else can be accomplished by customizing the TOC 1, TOC 2,
| etc., styles, which is much easier to do in Word 97 than in Word
2002/2003,
| FWIW. You can also accomplish a lot by hand editing the TOC field; see
| http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm
|
| --
| Suzanne S. Barnhill
| Microsoft MVP (Word)
| Words into Type
| Fairhope, Alabama USA
| Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
| Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
| all may benefit.
|
| "miraglo" wrote in message
| Sorry I should have said -- Word 97.
|
| Re my first question -- thanks, Find and Replace did the trick great!
|
| Re 2nd question -- there's no Edit Field in my right-click menu, but
it's
| no
| problem to delete the TOC and create a new one.
|

| Many thanks
| miraglo
| --
|

| "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
| | If you have Word 2002 or 2003 and have "Keep track of formatting"
| enabled
| | (Tools | Options | Edit), you can use Select All to select all
| paragraphs
| | with the same formatting and then apply a style to them. In earlier
| versions
| | you'd need to use Find and Replace to do this.
| |
| | If you right-click on the TOC and choose Edit Field, you can make
| changes
| | the TOC setup. You can also modify TOC styles directly.
| |
| | --
| | Suzanne S. Barnhill
| | Microsoft MVP (Word)
| | Words into Type
| | Fairhope, Alabama USA
| | Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
| | Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
| newsgroup
| so
| | all may benefit.
| |
| | "miraglo" wrote in message
| | Could someone kindly help with 2 queries about creating a TOC in
Word
| 97
| ?
| |
| | 1) Is there some way to apply a predefined style to a particular
type
| of
| | paragraph that occurs frequently throughout a very long existing
Word
| | document, rather than highlighting and applying the style to every
| | occurrence one at a time?
| |
| | 2) Can I change a TOC's chosen format without deleting the TOC and
| | starting
| | again?
| |
| |