Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MIRROS MIRROS is offline

Default Word 2007 NOT RESPONDING - slow response time

Hi all,
I bought my brand new laptop a year ago, and it came with Vista Home Basic
installed, but only 512 MB RAM.
I installed Office 2007 and instantly had difficulties. Everything was slow,
but especially Word. I've upgraded RAM twice now, and now have 1.5 GB. Things
have sped up in general, but Word is still impossibly slow.

It takes up to 3 minutes to open up sometimes, and quite regularly stops
reponding. Not just when I'm saving, but sometimes at totally random times.
Common times though, are saving, opening a doc, or opening a drop down menu,
like text boxes.

I assumed it was the low RAM that was slowing down the operation, but what
are my other options???
Might it be as simple as reinstalling Word? I haven't tried that as I'm not
the most tech-savvy person, and wouldn't know how to go about it without
losing all my saved docs.

Help? Advice? Options???
Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MIRROS MIRROS is offline

Me again with more details:
I've hunted around this discussion board and it is happening to everyone! I
have no printer installed and I do not have that update that people have
mentioned.

The clear link with all these posts is Vista and I cannot fathom how
Microsoft made an operating system that isn't compatable with Word!

It is literally freezing up every few keystrokes now. It always starts
responding again, but I'd rather not wait the 2 minutes every time just so i
can type a simple document!!!

There HAS to be an answer SOMEWHERE!! Anyone? Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You don't need to install a printer, but you do need to install a printer
driver. Word requires the driver to format the document.

See also http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.

MIRROS wrote:
Me again with more details:
I've hunted around this discussion board and it is happening to
everyone! I have no printer installed and I do not have that update
that people have mentioned.

The clear link with all these posts is Vista and I cannot fathom how
Microsoft made an operating system that isn't compatable with Word!

It is literally freezing up every few keystrokes now. It always starts
responding again, but I'd rather not wait the 2 minutes every time
just so i can type a simple document!!!

There HAS to be an answer SOMEWHERE!! Anyone? Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

As Graham says, you must install a local printer driver and set it as the
Windows Default. Even if you don't have a printer, just install one of the
generic drivers on the Windows disk.

Slow running has nothing to do with Vista. If it is still slow after
installing the printer driver, please come back for more help on diagnosing
the problem. Be assured that Office will run in Vista fine. You haven't
wasted investing in more memory as Vista really needs 2GB to be absolutely
'happy' but 1.5Gb should be OK unless you are a heavy user.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP