Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dama1 dama1 is offline

Default .doc vs .docx

I have Office 2000 (and am quite happy with it although it's an older
version). When I receive a word document from someone using Office 2007 and
try to open it, I get a pop-up telling me that it isn't recognized. When I
change the extention from .docx to .doc, I get a page full of hieroglyphics
(squares and symbols). Is there a download available to fix this problem?
Something I can do internally? Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Download the compatibility pack.

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"dama1" wrote in message
I have Office 2000 (and am quite happy with it although it's an older
version). When I receive a word document from someone using Office 2007
and
try to open it, I get a pop-up telling me that it isn't recognized. When I
change the extention from .docx to .doc, I get a page full of
hieroglyphics
(squares and symbols). Is there a download available to fix this problem?
Something I can do internally? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michele Michele is offline

I just want to post a question. This is too complicated. Can I just ask the
question from this space?

Michele

"dama1" wrote in message
I have Office 2000 (and am quite happy with it although it's an older
version). When I receive a word document from someone using Office 2007
and
try to open it, I get a pop-up telling me that it isn't recognized. When I
change the extention from .docx to .doc, I get a page full of
hieroglyphics
(squares and symbols). Is there a download available to fix this problem?
Something I can do internally? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

You have already asked a question. Yes, you can ask another one and more if
you like.

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

McCain/Palin '08 !!!

"dama1" wrote in message
I have Office 2000 (and am quite happy with it although it's an
older version). When I receive a word document from someone using
Office 2007 and
try to open it, I get a pop-up telling me that it isn't recognized.
When I change the extention from .docx to .doc, I get a page full of
hieroglyphics
(squares and symbols). Is there a download available to fix this
problem? Something I can do internally? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michele Michele is offline

To send a resume created in Word to an Internet email so that the recipient
can then copy the Word created resume from the Internet email...What format
is compatible? Is it possible to accomplish this task from a .doc or .docx ?
Please respond on a 5th grade level.

Thank you, Michele

"dama1" wrote in message
I have Office 2000 (and am quite happy with it although it's an
older version). When I receive a word document from someone using
Office 2007 and
try to open it, I get a pop-up telling me that it isn't recognized.
When I change the extention from .docx to .doc, I get a page full of
hieroglyphics
(squares and symbols). Is there a download available to fix this
problem? Something I can do internally? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Save the file in whatever format you know your recipient can read.

Compose your email message in your email program, and click "Attach."
Browse to the file and select it.

Send.

Are you smarter than a 5th-grader?

On Sep 24, 7:46*pm, Michele wrote:
To send a resume created in Word to an Internet email so that the recipient
can then copy the Word created resume from the Internet email...What format
is compatible? *Is it possible to accomplish this task from a .doc or .docx ?
Please respond on a 5th grade level.

Thank you, * Michele *

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you attach a .doc file to an email message, most recipients will be able
to open and print it, more than are likely to be able to open a .docx file.
If you have Word 2007, however (as you evidently do), you might find it
worthwhile to download the free add-in that allows you to save the document
as a PDF. Even the few users who do not have some version of Word or the
Word Viewer installed will almost certainly have Adobe Reader.

Get the add-in from
or
(I'm not sure what advantage there may be to the one that also saves as
XPS).

"dama1" wrote in message
I have Office 2000 (and am quite happy with it although it's an
older version). When I receive a word document from someone using
Office 2007 and
try to open it, I get a pop-up telling me that it isn't recognized.
When I change the extention from .docx to .doc, I get a page full of
hieroglyphics
(squares and symbols). Is there a download available to fix this
problem? Something I can do internally? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michele Michele is offline

Does the Word file, .doc or .docx, affect the format of the recipient,
message? The problem is this, recipient (me) receives a jumbled internet
email document. To verify how the document will look when received as an
internet email, I begin with
sending the Word document (.doc/.docx) to recipient (me) internet email. The
document form is (always jumbled in appearance). Then, fix the individually
jumbled email margins and resend the same document from me to the recipient
(me). The margin changes are lost and repeatedly revert back to the same
jumbled document.

Thank you, Michele

"grammatim" wrote:

Save the file in whatever format you know your recipient can read.

Compose your email message in your email program, and click "Attach."
Browse to the file and select it.

Send.

Are you smarter than a 5th-grader?

On Sep 24, 7:46 pm, Michele wrote:
To send a resume created in Word to an Internet email so that the recipient
can then copy the Word created resume from the Internet email...What format
is compatible? Is it possible to accomplish this task from a .doc or .docx ?
Please respond on a 5th grade level.

Thank you, Michele

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you are e-mailing the document, as the body of a message, then you should
be aware that the formatting requirements for html e-mail and Word document
are entirely different. HTML does not use margins nor even pages. You can
view the finished result of what you would be sending in Web layout view. If
you want the recipient to receive a similar appearance to your Word document
send it as an attachment. If you want it to be received *exactly* as you see
it, send it as a PDF format attachment (for which you will probably need
additional software. There's a free PDF download tool for Word 2007.

If you are pasting into a web form it is probably better to paste it into
Notepad first and reformat there.

wrote:
To send a resume created in Word to an Internet email so that the
recipient can then copy the Word created resume from the Internet
email...What format is compatible? Is it possible to accomplish
this task from a .doc or .docx ? Please respond on a 5th grade
level.

Thank you, Michele

how do I convert a docx. to a doc.? Brian Microsoft Word Help 1 June 2nd 07 11:36 PM
Converter from *.doc to *.docx Christian Durden Microsoft Word Help 16 May 21st 07 05:41 PM
Docx hyperlinks? Richard Microsoft Word Help 1 May 7th 07 08:56 PM
.docx? Kelly Microsoft Word Help 1 April 9th 07 09:35 PM
Trying to open docx in IE 6 or 7 Bren Lane Microsoft Word Help 2 February 2nd 07 07:57 PM