Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anton Plotnikov Anton Plotnikov is offline

Default Cross-reference on table without permanent part

I created a new table "Table 1" in Word 2007 document. Then this table has
been named "Table 1 - bla-bla-bla". Then I unsuccessful tried to create
cross-reference on table with format "1" (not "Table 1", not "Table 1 -
bla-bla-bla", but "1"). How I can make a cross-reference on table or drawing
with number only without any additional words?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

You can add a switch to the field code of the cross-reference.

The following should work no matter whether you select €śEntire caption€ť or
€śOnly label and number€ť in the €śInsert reference to€ť field when you insert
the reference:

1. Click in the cross-reference field and press Shift+F9 to toggle the field
codes.
The code may look something like this:

{ REF _Ref219861720 \h}

2. Insert €ś\# 0€ť (without quotes) so the field code looks like:
{ REF _Ref219861720 \# 0 \h}

3. Press F9 to update the field (if this does not toggle the field codes
off, press Shift+F9).

Now the cross-reference should show only the number.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Anton Plotnikov" wrote:

I created a new table "Table 1" in Word 2007 document. Then this table has
been named "Table 1 - bla-bla-bla". Then I unsuccessful tried to create
cross-reference on table with format "1" (not "Table 1", not "Table 1 -
bla-bla-bla", but "1"). How I can make a cross-reference on table or drawing
with number only without any additional words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It sure would have been nice to know that years ago ... why won't they
tell us such things?

Is there any way to get it to write "on p. 25" instead of "on page
25"?

On Jan 16, 4:00*am, Lene Fredborg
wrote:
You can add a switch to the field code of the cross-reference.

The following should work no matter whether you select “Entire caption” or
“Only label and number” in the “Insert reference to” field when you insert
the reference:

1. Click in the cross-reference field and press Shift+F9 to toggle the field
codes.
The code may look something like this:

{ REF _Ref219861720 \h}

2. Insert “\# 0” (without quotes) so the field code looks like:

"Anton Plotnikov" wrote:
I created a new table "Table 1" in Word 2007 document. Then this table has
been named "Table 1 - bla-bla-bla". Then I unsuccessful tried to create
cross-reference on table with format "1" (not "Table 1", not "Table 1 -
bla-bla-bla", but "1"). How I can make a cross-reference on table or drawing
with number only without any additional words?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

PAGEREFs insert only the number; the part before that is up to you, so you
can just as easily use "on p." as "on page."

http://word.mvps.org

"Anton Plotnikov" wrote:
I created a new table "Table 1" in Word 2007 document. Then this table
has
been named "Table 1 - bla-bla-bla". Then I unsuccessful tried to create
cross-reference on table with format "1" (not "Table 1", not "Table 1 -
bla-bla-bla", but "1"). How I can make a cross-reference on table or
drawing
with number only without any additional words?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I have only known this method for a couple of weeks €“ thanks to a tip from
MVP macropod.

How do you currently insert the €śon page€¦€ť text before the page number if
you dont type it manually? If you use a macro, the macro code could be
changed.

--

"Anton Plotnikov" wrote:
I created a new table "Table 1" in Word 2007 document. Then this table has
been named "Table 1 - bla-bla-bla". Then I unsuccessful tried to create
cross-reference on table with format "1" (not "Table 1", not "Table 1 -
bla-bla-bla", but "1"). How I can make a cross-reference on table or drawing
with number only without any additional words?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I must be thinking of FrameMaker! I just checked Insert Cross-
Reference and didn't find an entry for Label And Page Number. I'm in
the middle of revising my book, which was done on FrameMaker 4 almost
15 years ago, where I have lots of "see table NN on page PP", which
was a 1-step insertion. In Word that's a 2-step insertion, but I'm
glad to know how to get the table number without the tag, since
Chicago style is that cross-referenced parts of a book are not
capitalized -- so the table tag will be Table 1, but it should say
"see table 1."

OTOH, there won't be any cross references until everything is imported
into InDesign CS4, which has only just added cross-referencing. I hope
it's flexible enough.

On Jan 16, 11:13*am, Lene Fredborg
wrote:
I have only known this method for a couple of weeks – thanks to a tip from
MVP macropod.

How do you currently insert the “on page…” text before the page number if