Bryan L

Default Link sections of word documents from other sources

We have a large collection of documents (roughly 100) with one section in
common. That common section contains pictures and contact information for a
group of employees. Any time we have employee turnover within that group
(which happens regularly, if not often), each of the roughly 100 documents
needs to have that common section updated, which right now is a tedious
manual process. I'm looking for a way to create that section in one place,
and link it to the 100 documents that use it so when a change is needed, I
change the source and it's reflected in all the documents to which it's
linked.

I've searched within the help for Word, but can't seem to find what I'm
looking for. Should I be looking to link a Word document to another Word
document? Or should I try to create the source in Excel or PowerPoint and
link to Word?

Any help appreciated...I'm having difficulty finding a high-level overview
of how to accomplish what I need.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Daiya Mitchell

IncludeText fields will let you maintain in one Word doc and publish in
multiple Word documents.

This is a low-level overview, but it will get you started.
http://daiya.mvps.org/includetext0.htm

The high-level overview is still being written, but hopefully will be done
within a couple of weeks. If you post back on this thread later, you should
be able to get an updated link. Or you can ask questions if you run into
problems in the meantime.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Charles Kenyon

The following macro in your dependant documents will update the information
from your common file, assuming that you've used includetext fields to bring
it in.

You can put the following into an AutoOpen macro in your document (which
will only work if macro security is set to allow it).

Sub AutoOpen()
' Written by Charles Kyle Kenyon 15 November 2001
' repaired by Jezebel
' All Story Field Updater - includetext
Dim oField As Field
Dim oStory As Range
' On Error Resume Next
For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
' This goes into headers and footers as well as the regular document
Do
For Each oField In oStory.Fields
If oField.Type = WdFieldTypeIncludeText Then
oField.Update
End If
Next oField
Set oStory = oStory.Next
Loop Until oStory Is Nothing
Next oStory
End Sub

You will need to allow the macro to run, though. You could attach the
dependant documents to a template containing this macro and allow macros to
run from installed templates and add-ins and still keep your macro security
high. Note, your users will get a message when they close the document
asking if they want to save changes. Hope this helps.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.