Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BradleyT79 BradleyT79 is offline

Default Auto-generated Paragraphs in Header / Footnote spacer

While working on an essay in Word 2003, I kept finding extra paragraph marks
(carriage returns, whatever you want to call them) in both the header and
footnote spacer. After deleting them, I continued to type in the main
section of the document, only to have the extra paragraph marks return soon
thereafter. This occurs in other Word documents as well, new or old. Does
anyone know what's going on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BradleyT79 BradleyT79 is offline

The header initially included nothing other than my last name and the page
number, aligned right. Then the extra paragraph marks (usually three)
appeared while I was typing the essay.

"BradleyT79" wrote:

While working on an essay in Word 2003, I kept finding extra paragraph marks
(carriage returns, whatever you want to call them) in both the header and
footnote spacer. After deleting them, I continued to type in the main
section of the document, only to have the extra paragraph marks return soon
thereafter. This occurs in other Word documents as well, new or old. Does
anyone know what's going on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Where in the header do these extra paragraphs appear? If you press
Alt+F9, does something display instead of those paragraphs?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"BradleyT79" wrote:

While working on an essay in Word 2003, I kept finding extra

paragraph marks
(carriage returns, whatever you want to call them) in both the

header and
footnote spacer. After deleting them, I continued to type in the

main
section of the document, only to have the extra paragraph marks

return soon
thereafter. This occurs in other Word documents as well, new or

old. Does
anyone know what's going on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BradleyT79 BradleyT79 is offline

The extra paragraphs always appear at the end of the header and the footnote
separator, always in the same number in both places (except that I must
delete them separately). Pressing alt+F9 does nothing to the extra
paragraphs. They always remain just paragraphs.

I have tried unsuccessfully to determine when they appear and what I'm doing
then, but no luck so far.

"BradleyT79" wrote:

While working on an essay in Word 2003, I kept finding extra

paragraph marks
(carriage returns, whatever you want to call them) in both the

header and
footnote spacer. After deleting them, I continued to type in the

main
section of the document, only to have the extra paragraph marks

return soon
thereafter. This occurs in other Word documents as well, new or

old. Does
anyone know what's going on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you copy the document, except the final paragraph mark (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm), to a new file, does
the problem still occur?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"BradleyT79" wrote:

While working on an essay in Word 2003, I kept finding extra

paragraph marks
(carriage returns, whatever you want to call them) in both the

header and
footnote spacer. After deleting them, I continued to type in

the
main
section of the document, only to have the extra paragraph marks

return soon
thereafter. This occurs in other Word documents as well, new or

old. Does
anyone know what's going on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BradleyT79 BradleyT79 is offline

I think I've finally figured out when the extra paragraphs are added.
Whenever the Autoformat feature (which is more stressful than anything else)
decides to make drastic changes to my entire document (such as making a 15
page paper all bulleted) and I undo (via ctrl-z) the destruction, then the
extra lines seem to appear. This is true of multiple documents, although all
are based on the normal template (unchanged!) Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...eformatted.htm