Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dr. Tom W. Dr. Tom W. is offline

Default Word 2007 and not responding

The problem that i am having is that when I have the document loaded and I
try to save it, use find, or anything else, I get a "not responding" and the
screen goes semi-white. I have to cancel to close the Word program
altogether. I have no problem with any of the other Office 2007 programs. I
have used programs like System Mechanic 7 to clean and correct programs. I
also use Vista Business. I am not sure whether the cleaning program got rid
of something in Word. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Programs like System Mechanic in the hands of people who don't understand
the consequences of their use can result in a system that doesn't work.
Whether this is the problem here is difficult to say, but you can always
repair Office and put back the registry entries that it has removed - if
indeed it has removed any of them.
Does the problem occur when you start Word in its safe mode (hold CTRL
whilst starting Word and agree to the prompt)? If not - see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Dr. Tom W. wrote:
The problem that i am having is that when I have the document loaded
and I try to save it, use find, or anything else, I get a "not
responding" and the screen goes semi-white. I have to cancel to
close the Word program altogether. I have no problem with any of the
other Office 2007 programs. I have used programs like System
Mechanic 7 to clean and correct programs. I also use Vista Business.
I am not sure whether the cleaning program got rid of something in
Word. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dr. Tom W. Dr. Tom W. is offline

Graham:
First, thank you for your reply. The answer to your question is "yes" it
does work fine when I open it in safe mode. To give you a little history, I
did remove the entire Office 2007 and reinstalled without any change in how
Word operates. Any further suggestions?
Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom W. wrote:
The problem that i am having is that when I have the document loaded
and I try to save it, use find, or anything else, I get a "not
responding" and the screen goes semi-white. I have to cancel to
close the Word program altogether. I have no problem with any of the
other Office 2007 programs. I have used programs like System
Mechanic 7 to clean and correct programs. I also use Vista Business.
I am not sure whether the cleaning program got rid of something in
Word. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the application works OK in safe mode then the probability is that you
have either a corrupt normal template (rename it) or a defective or
incompatible add-in. Both are covered in the links I posted earlier.
Reinstalling would have no effect on either and was not part of the
suggested trouble shooting regime.