Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aboeing aboeing is offline

Default Spell checker word 2007 - spell check pasted text

Hi,

Whenever I past text into word, it will not check the spelling for it. This
is very annoying, does anyone know how to force word to enable spell checking
for the entire document?

A work around I have found is to copy text from the other
application/document into notepad, and recopy and paste it into a new
document, but this is a tedious process, and causes all the formatting to be
lost.

(Language is set to english, I have tried going to word options and pressing
the "recheck document" in the proofing section)

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

From where are you copying the text?

If you use Edit paste special unformatted text (or the following macro)
the inserted text will adopt the format of the location into which it is
pasted.

Sub PasteUnfText()
On Error GoTo Oops
Selection.PasteSpecial DataType:=wdPasteText, _
Placement:=wdInLine
End
Oops:
Beep
End Sub

aboeing wrote:
Hi,

Whenever I past text into word, it will not check the spelling for
it. This is very annoying, does anyone know how to force word to
enable spell checking for the entire document?

A work around I have found is to copy text from the other
application/document into notepad, and recopy and paste it into a new
document, but this is a tedious process, and causes all the
formatting to be lost.

(Language is set to english, I have tried going to word options and
pressing the "recheck document" in the proofing section)

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aboeing aboeing is offline

Thanks for your reply.

From where are you copying the text?

Various applications, one example is Visual Studio 2005

If you use Edit paste special unformatted text (or the following macro)
the inserted text will adopt the format of the location into which it is
pasted.

Yes, thanks, this avoids the notepad workaround, however the text formatting
issue remains (ie: the text looses its formatting)

I already have a number of documents with incorrect spelling that I did not
notice previously, so I am really hoping to find a solution that will allow
me to run the spell checker and preserve the formatting.

Presumably Word2007 inserts some magic "don't spell check this" tag, which
then unfortunately flows on to the rest of the document after the
paste-point. I'm hoping to find a way to tell word to spell check everything.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you paste the text into a blank document what language is applied to the
pasted text. This should be the language applied to the source text.
You could force the required language with a macro whenever you paste by
intecepting the paste command eg

Sub EditPaste()
With Selection
.Paste
.WholeStory
.LanguageID = wdEnglishUS
.NoProofing = False
Application.CheckLanguage = False
End With
End Sub

aboeing wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

From where are you copying the text?

Various applications, one example is Visual Studio 2005

If you use Edit paste special unformatted text (or the following
macro) the inserted text will adopt the format of the location into
which it is pasted.

Yes, thanks, this avoids the notepad workaround, however the text
formatting issue remains (ie: the text looses its formatting)

I already have a number of documents with incorrect spelling that I
did not notice previously, so I am really hoping to find a solution
that will allow me to run the spell checker and preserve the
formatting.

Presumably Word2007 inserts some magic "don't spell check this" tag,
which then unfortunately flows on to the rest of the document after
the paste-point. I'm hoping to find a way to tell word to spell check
everything.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aboeing aboeing is offline

Thanks Graham, that solved the issue.
(for others: developer menu is enabled via the office button, popular
settings)
(sorry for the delayed response, I didn't recieve an email notification)

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you paste the text into a blank document what language is applied to the
pasted text. This should be the language applied to the source text.
You could force the required language with a macro whenever you paste by
intecepting the paste command eg

Sub EditPaste()
With Selection
.Paste
.WholeStory
.LanguageID = wdEnglishUS
.NoProofing = False
Application.CheckLanguage = False
End With
End Sub

aboeing wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

From where are you copying the text?

Various applications, one example is Visual Studio 2005

If you use Edit paste special unformatted text (or the following
macro) the inserted text will adopt the format of the location into
which it is pasted.

Yes, thanks, this avoids the notepad workaround, however the text
formatting issue remains (ie: the text looses its formatting)

I already have a number of documents with incorrect spelling that I
did not notice previously, so I am really hoping to find a solution
that will allow me to run the spell checker and preserve the
formatting.

Presumably Word2007 inserts some magic "don't spell check this" tag,
which then unfortunately flows on to the rest of the document after
the paste-point. I'm hoping to find a way to tell word to spell check
everything.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marz Marz is offline

Thank you, Graham.

I was getting the same thing when I copied/pasted things from a Notepad txt
file document to MS Word 2007. The Paste Special worked. The Spell/Grammar
Check works immediately after pasting when I use this menu option.

Marz

From where are you copying the text?