Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

Default I need some advice!

Hi,
Back when Office XP Professional came out I was going through a divorce and moved to a one room apartment with no room
for my computer.Since I was not using my Office I let my cousin install it (under MY name on her computer)_with the
agreement that when I get my new computer she would uninstall it.Well I finally got my computer last year and asked her
to do that but she won't uninstall my Office XP.I have asked her several times.
From what I remember the license said it could be installed on only one desktop and a notebook AND the desktop &
notebook have to belong to the same person.and since she has it installed I can't legally use it on my computer.

Question:
Is there any way I can have MS disable her copy so I can install it?
I have the installation disks so she can't even put SP3 on because of that.
--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

No, you cannot force her hand in this matter. You can try to install it on
your computer but you may have to use the telephone activation and explain
the situation to a human being.

Evetually her computer will die and she'll be out of luck at that point.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"RScotti" wrote in message
Hi,
Back when Office XP Professional came out I was going through a divorce
and moved to a one room apartment with no room
for my computer.Since I was not using my Office I let my cousin install it
(under MY name on her computer)_with the
agreement that when I get my new computer she would uninstall it.Well I
finally got my computer last year and asked her
to do that but she won't uninstall my Office XP.I have asked her several
times.
From what I remember the license said it could be installed on only one
desktop and a notebook AND the desktop &
notebook have to belong to the same person.and since she has it installed
I can't legally use it on my computer.

Question:
Is there any way I can have MS disable her copy so I can install it?
I have the installation disks so she can't even put SP3 on because of
that.
--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

Thanks. Her computer is about five years old it originally had XP SP1 on it and I am hoping some of her system files get
corrupted and has to do a clean install but it has not happened. I guess XP is pretty stable.
I do have Vista with Office 2007 but it's the principle. Office XP Pro.was about $500.

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:49:50 -0500, "JoAnn Paules" wrote:

No, you cannot force her hand in this matter. You can try to install it on
your computer but you may have to use the telephone activation and explain
the situation to a human being.

Evetually her computer will die and she'll be out of luck at that point.

--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chris Game Chris Game is offline

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:11:08 -0500, RScotti wrote:

Well I finally got my computer last year and asked her to do that
but she won't uninstall my Office XP.

Ooooh! Take her straight off your Christmas Card list!

--
Chris Game

"I do not write for such dull elves,
As have not a great deal of ingenuity themselves."
-- Jane Austen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I understand but obviously familial ties and ethics mean less to your cousin
than they do to you. You'll drive yourself crazy if you dwell on it. Keep on
working with Office 2007 and *don't share your software with anyone else*.
;-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

wrote:

No, you cannot force her hand in this matter. You can try to install it on
your computer but you may have to use the telephone activation and explain
the situation to a human being.

Evetually her computer will die and she'll be out of luck at that point.

--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I could tell you stories that would make you glad you don't have my
relatives. :-(

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

wrote:

I understand but obviously familial ties and ethics mean less to your
cousin
than they do to you. You'll drive yourself crazy if you dwell on it. Keep
on
working with Office 2007 and *don't share your software with anyone else*.
;-)

--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

Well JoAnn,
Mine are not that great either!
But what bothers me is MS does monitor the activation so I wish they would do something about this?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:04:37 -0500, "JoAnn Paules" wrote:

I could tell you stories that would make you glad you don't have my
relatives. :-(

--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

If MS had more information about each copy of Office, the general public
would scream bloody murder about invasion of privacy, etc. There would be
thousands of lawsuits pertaining to that and the cost of Office would
probably skyrocket to be able to afford the maintenance of the files
required. shudder!

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

wrote:

I could tell you stories that would make you glad you don't have my
relatives. :-(

--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Mailman Brian Mailman is offline

Would it bother her if you took her to Small Claims Court (assuming
you're in the US)?

B/

RScotti wrote:
Thanks. But it just bothers me that she would do that to me.
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:08:31 -0500, "JoAnn Paules" wrote:

I understand but obviously familial ties and ethics mean less to your cousin
than they do to you. You'll drive yourself crazy if you dwell on it. Keep on
working with Office 2007 and *don't share your software with anyone else*.
;-)

--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:26:55 -0800, Brian Mailman wrote:

Would it bother her if you took her to Small Claims Court (assuming
you're in the US)?

Yes it would but since I gave it to her to use until I get another computer and she is family I have no proof that I
didn't give it to her permanently to own!

B/

RScotti wrote:
Thanks. But it just bothers me that she would do that to me.
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:08:31 -0500, "JoAnn Paules" wrote:

I understand but obviously familial ties and ethics mean less to your cousin
than they do to you. You'll drive yourself crazy if you dwell on it. Keep on
working with Office 2007 and *don't share your software with anyone else*.
;-)

--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

In the UK, the small claims court is more likely to believe you as very
often absolute proof is lost over time. However, this is hardly worth
pursuing: just accept it as a tough lesson in trusting your sister. Next
time she wants to borrow something, say no and remind her of this.

Terry

wrote:

I understand but obviously familial ties and ethics mean less to your
cousin
than they do to you. You'll drive yourself crazy if you dwell on it.
Keep on
working with Office 2007 and *don't share your software with anyone
else*.
;-)
--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Take her to People's Court. You have the CDs so obviously she is not the
"owner". (Seriously, it's not worth it. Family can screw you over just as
easily as strangers. It hurts more tho.)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

wrote:

I understand but obviously familial ties and ethics mean less to your
cousin
than they do to you. You'll drive yourself crazy if you dwell on it.
Keep on
working with Office 2007 and *don't share your software with anyone
else*.
;-)
--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

Yes, You and Terry are both right. It's not worth it even thought it was priced at ~$459.I figure it's probably only
worth $50.00 and I was planning to try to sell it for that.
But I can't sell it if she has it on her computer because I don't know if it will activate on who ever buys it's
computer?
BUT I did install it on her computer about 4 or 5 YEARS ago!!

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:26:08 -0500, "JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Take her to People's Court. You have the CDs so obviously she is not the
"owner". (Seriously, it's not worth it. Family can screw you over just as
easily as strangers. It hurts more tho.)

--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Yes, you can sell it (assuming you can find a buyer). The next owner may
have to use the telephone activation but he/she can explain that they
purchased it used. Period. MS doesn't need a long drawn out story about
unscrupulous cousins and the breakdown of the family unit.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

wrote:

Take her to People's Court. You have the CDs so obviously she is not the
"owner". (Seriously, it's not worth it. Family can screw you over just as
easily as strangers. It hurts more tho.)

--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:55:23 -0500, "JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Yes, you can sell it (assuming you can find a buyer). The next owner may
have to use the telephone activation but he/she can explain that they
purchased it used. Period. MS doesn't need a long drawn out story about
unscrupulous cousins and the breakdown of the family unit.

JoAnn,
But I thought where it was activated 4 or 5 years ago it would be OK.
I saw somewhere that Windows XP Retail version can be reactivated on a different computer after 120 days. I thought the
Office would be the same?
Is there any link that MS has to check this?
Do you think $50. is a fair price?
--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

It probably will but I can't be 100% certain about that. (I'm not a
Microsoft employee so I am definitely not in the "needs to know" circle.)

$50 is a fair price but once you sell it, you can't use it as the qualifying
product for upgrades. If you have a full edition of a newer version, that's
different. Sell it - or donate it and take get a tax deduction.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

wrote:

Yes, you can sell it (assuming you can find a buyer). The next owner may
have to use the telephone activation but he/she can explain that they
purchased it used. Period. MS doesn't need a long drawn out story about
unscrupulous cousins and the breakdown of the family unit.

JoAnn,
But I thought where it was activated 4 or 5 years ago it would be OK.
I saw somewhere that Windows XP Retail version can be reactivated on a
different computer after 120 days. I thought the
Office would be the same?
Is there any link that MS has to check this?
Do you think $50. is a fair price?
--
Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:42:45 -0500, "JoAnn Paules" wrote:

It probably will but I can't be 100% certain about that. (I'm not a
Microsoft employee so I am definitely not in the "needs to know" circle.)

$50 is a fair price but once you sell it, you can't use it as the qualifying
product for upgrades. If you have a full edition of a newer version, that's
different. Sell it - or donate it and take get a tax deduction.

I have MS Office 2007 Home & Student edition which is a FULL Non commercial edition and doesn't need it but also can't
be used as an upgrade product either.
I would never even try to use it once I sell it.
I got it free because I was a MS technical beta tester for Office 2000 but some how I got 2002 XP. I had the box it came
in until my girlfriend decided to do some cleaning
It was dated ~Aug 2000 but XP didn't come out till 2002??????
I don't remember ever upgrading so I guess this will always be a mystery to me!