Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Robert_L_Ross Robert_L_Ross is offline

Default How do I link back to the Table of Contents

I have a word doc nearing 300 pages. I used the TOC wizard to build a TOC to
each Heading1 and Heading2 style. Now that the document is so big, how can I
get each 'destination' of the TOC (each Heading1/Heading2) entry to link back
to it's source on the TOC?

Basically, when they click on subject 150, how can I get the user back to
the TOC?

THX!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Word isn't designed to work that way: it isn't, primarily, a tool for
on-screen delivery. Nor do readers do this very much anyway: they know that
TOC is at the beginning, so dragging the scroll bar to the top is as quick a
method as any. If you want better on-screen navigation, convert the document
to PDF and display the bookmarks tab.

"Robert_L_Ross" wrote in message
I have a word doc nearing 300 pages. I used the TOC wizard to build a TOC
each Heading1 and Heading2 style. Now that the document is so big, how
can I
get each 'destination' of the TOC (each Heading1/Heading2) entry to link
back
to it's source on the TOC?

Basically, when they click on subject 150, how can I get the user back to
the TOC?

THX!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Alternatively, you can sometimes use Shift+F5 to go back. The Back button on
the Web toolbar usually works. And in Word 2003 (and 2002?) there is a Go To
TOC button you can put on the toolbar (caveat: for unknown reasons, it
doesn't work if the TOC is constructed from TC fields).

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Pressing Ctrl+Home also works, with an obvious limitation: If the TOC
isn't on the very first page of the document (which it usually isn't),
you'd have to scroll down a few pages.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Alternatively, you can sometimes use Shift+F5 to go back. The Back

button on
the Web toolbar usually works. And in Word 2003 (and 2002?) there is

a Go To
TOC button you can put on the toolbar (caveat: for unknown reasons,

it
doesn't work if the TOC is constructed from TC fields).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.