Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy Reyes[_2_] Andy Reyes[_2_] is offline

Default Wavy Blue Line

I know what wavy read and green lines mean, but what does a wavy blue line
mean? I tried searching the Word help and none of the hits explained it.
--
Andy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you search for "wavy lines"? See the Help topic "What do the underlines
in my document mean?" (third hit), which explains that "Word uses wavy blue
underlines to indicate possible instances of inconsistent formatting."

"Andy Reyes" wrote in message
I know what wavy read and green lines mean, but what does a wavy blue line
mean? I tried searching the Word help and none of the hits explained it.
--
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

I've found that they indicate incorrect contextual spelling in Office 2007.
For instance, if you use "can not" in a sentence, you should see it with a
wavy blue line with a right click correction of "cannot".

You can turn it off, by clicking the Office button, selecting Word Options.
Select Proofing and clear the check mark from "Use contextual spelling".

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"Andy Reyes" wrote in message
I know what wavy read and green lines mean, but what does a wavy blue line
mean? I tried searching the Word help and none of the hits explained it.
--
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy Reyes[_2_] Andy Reyes[_2_] is offline

like you sugested I had tried searching on "wavy blue line" and the only hil
I goy that was even on the subject explained the red and green lines, but not
the blue ones. I tried searching on "wavy lines" and did not get anything
that had to do with spelling or grammar. Most of the hits had to do with
templates. I even tried searching on "What do the underlines in my document
mean" (the topic that you said you found the information on) and all I got
was "Double underline the text" and the rest were templates. It looks like
help on Word 2007 leaves a lot to be desired.
--
Andy

"Andy Reyes" wrote in message
I know what wavy read and green lines mean, but what does a wavy blue line
mean? I tried searching the Word help and none of the hits explained it.
--
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You did not say that you were using Word 2007. I gather that Help in that
version mostly has yet to be written. I believe we were led to hope,
however, that Help in that version would be designed in such a way that
service packs could add to it. In any case, the other answer you received
did mention that wavy blue lines in Word 2007 point out contextual spelling
errors rather than formatting inconsistencies.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you search for "wavy lines"? See the Help topic "What do the

underlines
in my document mean?" (third hit), which explains that "Word uses wavy

blue
underlines to indicate possible instances of inconsistent formatting."

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Andy Reyes" wrote in message
I know what wavy read and green lines mean, but what does a wavy blue

line
mean? I tried searching the Word help and none of the hits explained

it.
--
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The Help topics that are present in Word 2007 are fairly good, and
while there are some holes in coverage, they aren't really that bad.
The indexing is absolutely horrendous, though -- it's impossible to
find about half of the things I know are in there.

In this case, the only two topics that mention the blue wavy underline
are "Keep track of formatting while you type"
(http://office.microsoft.com/client/h...1 00970211033)
and "Check spelling and grammar"
(http://office.microsoft.com/client/h... 01512471033).
Because the wording in the formatting article is "blue squiggly
underline", you can find that article by looking for the term
"squiggly" -- but not "wavy", which was the term used in Word 2003
help. The spelling article mentions blue wavy underlines in a heading
but doesn't say anything about them in the text. :-b

Word 2003 Help also had a topic titled "I see something unusual in my
document" (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...894821033.aspx)
that listed all the wavy underlines and other formatting marks, but
that topic doesn't appear to have been carried forward; maybe it's
there, but the indexing won't let me find it...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Andy Reyes" wrote in message
I know what wavy read and green lines mean, but what does a wavy blue

line
mean? I tried searching the Word help and none of the hits explained

it.
--
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RTWG RTWG is offline

I corrected and stopped the blue wavy/squiggly lines that refer to contextual
spelling. Problem is they still show up when there is a formatting or style
difference. How do I get rid of that? It is extremely annoying.

One line in my resume has the blue wavy/squiggly lines under the entire
line. When I right click, I get the following options:

1. Replace direct formatting with with style List Paragraph
2. Ignore Once
3. Ignore Rule

I want to ignore not replace my formatting (which is consistent throughout
my doc). How do I turn this feature off permanently?

Rich

"Andy Reyes" wrote in message
I know what wavy read and green lines mean, but what does a wavy blue line
mean? I tried searching the Word help and none of the hits explained it.
--
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Rich,

One of the oddities of Word 2007 was MS choosing to use blue as the squiggle color for two different features (a) the new context
spelling and (b) an enhanced version of the Word 2003 introduced feature to mark formatting 'inconsistencies'

In Word 2007 that's under
Office Button=Word Options=Advanced=Editing Options
[ ] Mark Formatting Inconsistencies

=============
"RTWG" wrote in message ...
I corrected and stopped the blue wavy/squiggly lines that refer to contextual
spelling. Problem is they still show up when there is a formatting or style
difference. How do I get rid of that? It is extremely annoying.

One line in my resume has the blue wavy/squiggly lines under the entire
line. When I right click, I get the following options:

1. Replace direct formatting with with style List Paragraph
2. Ignore Once
3. Ignore Rule

I want to ignore not replace my formatting (which is consistent throughout
my doc). How do I turn this feature off permanently?

Rich
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What are "formatting inconsistencies," and where is this switch in
2003?

On Jun 13, 8:07*pm, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Tools | Options | Edit: Mark formatting inconsistencies. It's available only
if you have "Keep track of formatting" enabled, in which case you're also
seeing all those pseudo-styles such as Normal + Bold, Normal + 14 pt, etc.

"grammatim" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bod Bod is offline

Hi! I can't see the option "Keep track of formatting" in Word 2007. I'm
looking in Tools, options, proofing. Oh please tell me I can turn off those
blue lines - I can't see any punctuation.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Tools | Options | Edit: Mark formatting inconsistencies. It's available only
if you have "Keep track of formatting" enabled, in which case you're also
seeing all those pseudo-styles such as Normal + Bold, Normal + 14 pt, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

"Keep track of formatting" and "Mark formatting inconsistencies" can be
found in Word 2007 under "Office button", "Word Options", "Advanced".

Yves