Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
akkrug akkrug is offline

Default Outline Question

I have inherited an outline form that our users would like to be able to key
as much information as they need to without messing up the table of contents.
When I addd the form fields to the document and then key enough information
to generate another page, the table of contents and Document map seem to get
out of synch. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? The users want to keep
the same numbering scheme but want to be able to key an unlimited amount of
text.

Thanks for the help!

Ken K.
--
akkrug
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PA PA is offline

If the TOC was created by Word from the Heading styles,
Insert-Reference-Index and Tables, then the TOC is a field. Single click it,
press the F9 key and update the entire table (or just page numbers)
The TOC will then be syched with the map

"akkrug" wrote:

I have inherited an outline form that our users would like to be able to key
as much information as they need to without messing up the table of contents.
When I addd the form fields to the document and then key enough information
to generate another page, the table of contents and Document map seem to get
out of synch. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? The users want to keep
the same numbering scheme but want to be able to key an unlimited amount of
text.

Thanks for the help!

Ken K.
--
akkrug

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
akkrug akkrug is offline

I had to unprotect the form for the F9 update to work. This wiped out the
text when I re-protected the form. The TOC looks ok before anything is keyed
to the fields. One thing I noticed is that the last item in the TOC does NOT
have a box with a - sign in it preceding the final section of the form.
--
akkrug

"akkrug" wrote:

I have inherited an outline form that our users would like to be able to key
as much information as they need to without messing up the table of contents.
When I addd the form fields to the document and then key enough information
to generate another page, the table of contents and Document map seem to get
out of synch. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? The users want to keep
the same numbering scheme but want to be able to key an unlimited amount of
text.

Thanks for the help!

Ken K.
--
akkrug

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Fields in the document will update if you check the calculate on exit check
box of the last field to be tabbed out of. TOC updates require a bit more
effort. Run the following macro on exit froma form field. It will unlock the
form, update the TOC, and relock the form without destroying the content
entered into the field.

Sub UpdateAllTOC()
Dim oTOC As TableOfContents
Dim bProtected As Boolean
If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType wdNoProtection Then
bProtected = True
ActiveDocument.Unprotect Password:=""
End If
For Each oTOC In ActiveDocument.TablesOfContents
oTOC.Update
Next oTOC
If bProtected = True Then
ActiveDocument.Protect _
Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True, Password:=""
End If
End Sub

"akkrug" wrote:

I have inherited an outline form that our users would like to be
able to key as much information as they need to without messing up
the table of contents. When I addd the form fields to the document
and then key enough information to generate another page, the table
of contents and Document map seem to get out of synch. Any idea
what I might be doing wrong? The users want to keep the same
numbering scheme but want to be able to key an unlimited amount of
text.

Thanks for the help!

Ken K.
--
akkrug

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
akkrug akkrug is offline

I added the macro to the last form field and it is leaving the contents
entered and most of the TOC seems to work properly, but I can't select the
Table of contents when the form is protected. Is this the way it is supposed
to work? Sorry to be such a pain, but as you can guess, I'm not too familiar
with Table of Contents and Form Outlines.

Thanks for the help!

Ken K. - 2191
--
akkrug

"akkrug" wrote:

I have inherited an outline form that our users would like to be
able to key as much information as they need to without messing up
the table of contents. When I addd the form fields to the document
and then key enough information to generate another page, the table
of contents and Document map seem to get out of synch. Any idea
what I might be doing wrong? The users want to keep the same
numbering scheme but want to be able to key an unlimited amount of
text.

Thanks for the help!

Ken K.
--
akkrug

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
akkrug akkrug is offline

Do I have to put the macro to recalculate the TOC in all fields on the form
to make sure the users activate it or just add it to the last field on the
form? Thanks!

Ken K. - 2191
--
akkrug

"akkrug" wrote:

I have inherited an outline form that our users would like to be
able to key as much information as they need to without messing up
the table of contents. When I addd the form fields to the
document and then key enough information to generate another
page, the table of contents and Document map seem to get out of
synch. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? The users want to
keep the same numbering scheme but want to be able to key an
unlimited amount of text.

Thanks for the help!

Ken K.
--
akkrug

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I would be inclined to put a button on a toolbar (Word up to 2003) however
it needs to be activated from a field that comes after anything that may
contribute to the TOC that you know the users will be required to complete.

"akkrug" wrote:

I have inherited an outline form that our users would like to be
able to key as much information as they need to without messing
up the table of contents. When I addd the form fields to the
document and then key enough information to generate another
page, the table of contents and Document map seem to get out of
synch. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? The users want to
keep the same numbering scheme but want to be able to key an
unlimited amount of text.

Thanks for the help!

Ken K.
--
akkrug

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
akkrug akkrug is offline

Great idea!! I added your macro to a new template and put a button on the
template to run it. Thanks for all the help!!

Ken K. - 2191
--
akkrug

"akkrug" wrote:

I have inherited an outline form that our users would like to be
able to key as much information as they need to without messing
up the table of contents. When I addd the form fields to the
document and then key enough information to generate another
page, the table of contents and Document map seem to get out of
synch. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? The users want to
keep the same numbering scheme but want to be able to key an
unlimited amount of text.

Thanks for the help!

Ken K.
--
akkrug

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
akkrug akkrug is offline

Thanks again Graham. The users like the TOC, but now they want to add
different sections with the same numbering scheme. Can this be done or do I
have to start the TOC over again?

Thanks!

kkrug

"akkrug" wrote:

I have inherited an outline form that our users would like to be
able to key as much information as they need to without messing
up the table of contents. When I addd the form fields to the
document and then key enough information to generate another
page, the table of contents and Document map seem to get out of
synch. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? The users want to
keep the same numbering scheme but want to be able to key an
unlimited amount of text.

Thanks for the help!

Ken K.
--
akkrug

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

F9 will update the TOC and add (or remove) any new headings providing they
have been formatted with the correct Heading Style.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP