Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
SpEducator

Default Can't specify merge source

Word 2003, Windows XP:

Our staff member has a merge document which uses a table in another word
document for its data source. Both documents are on a network share drive,
and they can be properly merged and opened on many computers in our office.
However, all merge documents quit working on one staff member's computer.

On the problem PC, when the document is opened, the error is received that
Word cannot find the data source. I go through the find menu to select the
data source, only to receive the same error yet again, and the loop
continues.

Word can see and open the data source document just fine, but it will not
accept it as the merge data source.

This same process and same documents worked on this PC until very recently.
It seemed to break around the same time as a spyware infection followed by
installation if IE7 beta. All spyware has been removed, is there anything in
IE7 beta that could be impacting Word's connecting to a data source?

I have tried uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling Microsoft Office
2003 Professional to no avail.

Carmen Mercer
Spokane Schools
Spokane WA
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

You should not be using Beta software on a computer that is required for
production purposes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"SpEducator" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
SpEducator

IE7 is not on that computer as a result of my own ideas or actions. I'm just
trying to troubleshoot the situation that exists. If you can't help or don't
want to help then there is no need to reply.

Word will accept the merge source if it is copied to the local machine, but
cannot use a data source on the network share. The user can see, read, and
write to the data source document on the network share just fine.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

When IE7 etc. were removed, was it done via Control Panel|Add or Remove
Programs? Can the machine be restored from an earlier backup without losing
other data etc., or is there a Windowws XP Checkpoint that you can safely go
back to instead (or as well)? (Start|All Programs|Accessories|System
Tools|System Restore)

If you know when IE7 was installed it may be worth searching the Windows
folder (and subfolders) for files modified on/around that date. If there are
not many, it may be worth comparing their properties with the equivalent
files on other machines, creating a system restore checkpoint and
substituting older file versions for newer ones. I wouldn't particularly
want to do that but if the only alternative is a complete re-installation of
everything I might be tempted.

Just my 2c-worth...

Peter Jamieson