JohnThePresenter

Default Bad Bullets and Numbering Delay

Hi,
I am using Word 2002 SP3, XP, both with all latest updates.
I posted this question before but the answer didn't solve my problem.
I get an unexpected long delay in Bullets and Numbering.
I get it when Word applies default numbering patterns. I know I can define
my own style and apply that to avoid the delay, but I did not get this delay
before and I want to understand why I get it now.
I get the delay:

1. When I create a new document after rebooting, type a few lines, then
select them and do [Format]-[Bullets and Numbering]. I get an hourglass and
wait for about a minute before I can do anything else.
2. If I am typing an Outlook message and start manually numbering lines so
that word's automatic Bullets and Numbering kicks in, the same thing happens
- I get an hour glass and wait for a minute.

I have tried deleting my Normal.dot file and letting Word create a new one
(please note I am aware of all the possible problems with editing Normal.dot
files the wrong way).
No effect - I still get the delay.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

John

Word Heretic

G'day "JohnThePresenter" ,

Have you tried a hard disk defrag? To use a list template, Word has to
access specific code from several libraries - this code needs to be
loaded into RAM to execute. You may also want to check your paging
file is contiguous and large enough.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

JohnThePresenter reckoned:

[...]

JohnThePresenter

Hi,
My disk is already well defragged with 20 GBytes of free space. RAM is 512MB
with 768MB page file size. Any other ideas please?

"Word Heretic" wrote:

[...]

Word Heretic

G'day "JohnThePresenter" ,

If you started vanilla and then applied the SPs as they came, by now
your disk's MFT etc is clogged up, badly linked and essentially
useless. I am not sure, but quite possibly Symantic's defragger or
some other good third party defragger MAY fix the problem - check
their technical specifications for MFT rebuilds.

However, when planning a fast office system for massive and regular
updates (eg, an MS system):

Get a tech to make you an updated installable version of both Windows
and Office or contact MS for same.

Backup your data, reformat your disk, create some partitions:

Sys: Windows only. This will get ruined a lot slower with just windows
on there. (Turn off fast indexing)

Office: MS Office products only. (Turn off fast indexing)

Apps: All other applications, utilities, tweaks, hacks etc (Turn off
fast indexing)