earljones

Default auto copy text in word to another text field in word

im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a word form so
that the information in the field is copied to several other fields
automatically. My office uses an intake document where the client's name must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the document.
Anne Troy

Don't use a field for the subsequent instances. Use a cross-reference
instead. Here's how it's done:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/c...oft_word .htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"earljones" wrote in message
im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a word form
so
that the information in the field is copied to several other fields
automatically. My office uses an intake document where the client's name
must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Hansen Peter Hansen is offline

what if you want to send the information to another Microsoft Word 2003
document. I think cross-reference is only for use in the same document. I
am trying to find a way to send the information to another Word 2003
document. Are there any good articles on that?

"earljones" wrote in message
im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a word form
so
that the information in the field is copied to several other fields
automatically. My office uses an intake document where the client's name
must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Peter,

Check out the INCLUDETEXT field. It provides for cross-referencing between documents, including referencing bookmarks in the source
document.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"earljones" wrote in message
im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a word form
so
that the information in the field is copied to several other fields
automatically. My office uses an intake document where the client's name
must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Hansen[_2_] Peter Hansen[_2_] is offline

I just spent 20 min. typing out a question only to have it get deleted due to
high volume. I try sending this to see if it goes through

"earljones" wrote in message
im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a word form
so
that the information in the field is copied to several other fields
automatically. My office uses an intake document where the client's name
must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Hansen[_2_] Peter Hansen[_2_] is offline

Thank you for responding to my question and suggesting INCLUDETEXT. It gave
me the perseverance to keep going in this task. But I have had a lot of
problems trying to make this work and still have not succeeded. I wonder if
you could give me some additional guidance.

Here's what I've tried so far. First I had to create the bookmarks in
document A (Patient_Name, DOB, Location, Date_Eval, Referral_Reason,
Diagnoses, Treatment_Plan). Then I switched to document B and attempted the
field command INCLUDETEXT. I had a number of problems trying to make this
work. First I was getting an error message that I had the wrong file name.
The best I could do was to push control/f9 and then follow their example:
{INCLUDETEXT "filename" [bookmark]}. I did not put brackets around the
bookmark, that seemed to help. However, the closest I came to success was to
have an all gray field with lots of neat looking commands. At least it
didn't say €śerror€ť message. But when I checked print preview, there was
nothing in that field. No text had been transferred to document B. Oh, by
the way, I did replace single backslashes with double backslashes in the
filename. I did not use any switches because I couldn't see any that seemed
relevant to my task.

I'm wondering if the problem might be with the bookmark. Some of the
references to bookmarks specified that "the bookmark must be defined in the
active document." Others stated that the bookmark must be inserted in the
"main document." In either case, I'm not sure how I would refer to a
bookmark referencing information in document A while creating the bookmark in
document B. I am wonder if you might have any ideas how to proceed from here.
Thank you again for all your help!

"earljones" wrote in message
im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a word form
so
that the information in the field is copied to several other fields
automatically. My office uses an intake document where the client's name
must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Peter,

The correct syntax for the INCLUDETEXT field pointing to a bookmark is:
{INCLUDETEXT "Drive:\\path\\filename.ext" bookmark}
or
{INCLUDETEXT "Drive:/path/filename.ext" bookmark}

If you "have an all gray field with lots of neat looking commands", that suggests you've either not updated the field after coding
it (selecting the field and pressing F9 will do the trick) or you've pressed Alt-F9 somewhere along the way and toggled the field
code display 'on' - pressing Alt-F9 again will fix that.

The bookmark goes in the source document (ie the document you're linking to, not the target document with the INCLUDETEXT field).
Note too that the bookmark can span multiple lines/paragraphs if that simplifies things.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"earljones" wrote in message
im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a word form
so
that the information in the field is copied to several other fields
automatically. My office uses an intake document where the client's name
must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Hansen[_2_] Peter Hansen[_2_] is offline

Hi macropod,

Thank you for your quick reply. When I explained the problem, I neglected
to type in the Drive:\\path\\ part of the syntax, but I had copied it out of
the "location" part of the document info, so it does look just like you wrote
that it should look. Then I hit f9 and it again came up with the "Errror"
bad filename notice in the grey shaded area. I tried it with the .ext at the
end of the location/filename and without it and I still got the error
message. I also checked on the bookmark in doc A and it was right where it
should be. So, I don't understand why it keeps saying "error bad filename."
Can we rule out the supernatural? (Partially kidding). Can you see any other
areas where I might be earning this "Error! Bad filename" scourge?

Peter

"earljones" wrote in message
im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a word form
so
that the information in the field is copied to several other fields
automatically. My office uses an intake document where the client's name
must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Peter,

The error message you're getting tells me there's something wrong with the path and/or the filename, or maybe you haven't wrapped
the lot is double quotes. Alternatively, is the source document a document protected for forms? If so, try adding the '\!' switch:
{INCLUDETEXT "Drive:\\path\\filename.ext" bookmark \!}

BTW, unless you're referencing a document protected for forms, this seems to be a lot of work for relatively little return. If the
client data are in a database/excel worksheet/delimited text file, you might be better off using a mailmerge.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"earljones" wrote in message
im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a word form
so
that the information in the field is copied to several other fields
automatically. My office uses an intake document where the client's name
must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I take it that the .ext you entered was actually .doc

so that it actually looks like (e.g.)

{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\path\\filename.doc" bookmarkname}?

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

commands. At least it didn't say "error" message. But when I

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Don't use a field for the subsequent instances. Use a
cross-reference instead. Here's how it's done:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/c...oft_word .htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"earljones" wrote in
message
im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a
word form so
that the information in the field is copied to several other
fields automatically. My office uses an intake document where
the client's name must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the
document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Hansen[_2_] Peter Hansen[_2_] is offline

Thanks for hanging in there with me for all my questions. I am quite a
novice at this, but I think there is an inner computer geek hiding inside me.
1) I do not have a data base of the information. But I do have Excel 2003
and wondered if it might be easier to send the information from the various
fields in Doc A to Excel and then go from Doc B to get the information in
Excel with some kind of mailmerge. I dont plan on saving this information
more than a week. I just want to print out a report (Doc A) and create a
note for the patients MD (Doc B) automatically without having to copy and
paste each time or having to hand write it. Once Doc A and Doc B are printed
then I plan to delete it (just to simplify confidentiality/privacy issues).
2) I do have €ś €ś around €śdrive:\\path\\ filename.ext€ť 3) I dont think the
document is €śprotected for forms,€ť but I did try adding \! in case that would
help, but I still end up with Error bad filename. Oh, Graham Mayor astutely
noticed that I might be using .ext instead of .doc at the end of the
filename. I tried it with .doc but it still was a bad filename. I cant see
where the problem could be. I am following all the suggestions. I am
copying the file name from the Doc A general info tab where it says
€ślocation.€ť I added .doc to it. I put double quotation marks around it. I
added the bookmark name after that. I begin with INCLUDETEXT. I have \\
replacing all the \ in the pathway and before the filename. I enclosed the
whole lot in { }. I even tried it with a space after the { and before the }
and then tried it without the extra spaces. Nothing makes a difference. It
always comes up either as Error bad filename or just blank when I do print
preview or actually print a page. Is there anywhere I can learn how to write
a good filename? Also, what do you think of using Excel 2003 as a go
between? Ive heard of €śmacros.€ť How could I make use of that, possibly, to
meet my goals if I can't get the INCLUDETEXT to work the way it is supposed
to?

"earljones" wrote in message
im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a word form
so
that the information in the field is copied to several other fields
automatically. My office uses an intake document where the client's name
must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Peter,

OK, try this:
.. Open both DocA and DocB
.. Select one of the bookmarked strings in DocA and copy it.
.. Switch to DocB and use Edit|Paste Special, check the 'paste link' button, choose the Word document format and click OK
.. Your bookmarked string in DocA should now appear in DocB
.. Select the pasted string and press Shift-F9 to expose the field code
.. You should see either a LINK field or an INCLUDETEXT field, either of which should show you the correct syntax for the field
concerned.
.. If it's a LINK field, the formatting will likely be off, so delete everything before the first double quote and everything after
the double quote following the filename, then insert INCLUDETEXT followed by a space before the first double quote and space
followed by the 'correct' bookmark name after the the double quote following the filename. Press F9 and the field should update.
.. Make a copy of the INCLUDETEXT field, press Shift-F9 to expose the field code and change the bookmark name to another of the
bookmark names used in DocA, then press F9 to update. You should now see the text corresponding with that bookmark from DocA.
.. Repeat the last step until done.

There is another way that might suit your needs better, though: combine DocA and DocB into a single document, so that you don't have
any of the issues with cross-referencing external documents. Then it's a simple matter of using Inert|Cross-reference to replicate
the bookmarked data. To really make this fly, see:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm
and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"earljones" wrote in message
im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a word form
so
that the information in the field is copied to several other fields
automatically. My office uses an intake document where the client's name
must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Peter Hansen[_2_] Peter Hansen[_2_] is offline

Hi macropod:

I decided to follow the simpler version and it has worked very well. Thank
you! Now, on to another related problem. After creating a new document from
documents A and B, I tried to create another new document from documents A
and C. Document C is nearly the same as document B.. So I used document B,
and cut out the parts I did not want and added new parts to create documents
C. Now here's the weird part: I had no problems with the combined document
A + B, I am having problems with the combined document A+ C. In the combined
document A+ C the first word of each new field in the C part of the document
is being put into Bold. When I checked the font, it was regular both in the
original and the destination fields. I thought perhaps autoformat was
causing this to happen (thanks to one of the hyperlinks you gave me. I found
out about the dangers of autoformat and why have been so frustrated in the
past with this feature). So I turned off the automatic bold component
wherever I could find it, and yet the first word in each section is put in
bold. Now, I have an idea where this might be coming from: in document A,
the part just before the bookmarked field is a heading that is in bold text.
That is why I turned off the auto correct feature, to prevent it from copying
the bold heading. However, my efforts have not been successful, the first
word of each section continues to be put into bold. Do you have any ideas how
I can undo this problem? I suppose, I could just go back to the completed
document, highlight the first word in each section that is bold, and hit
regular, and I could learn how to do a macro to make this all happen more
quickly I suppose. But then I would spend a lot of time learning how to do a
macro. (Oh, is that where you developed your name from? Not to cast
aspersions at the formation of your name.) Well, thanks again for all your
help. If you, or anyone else, has some ideas how to fix this easily, I'd be
very happy to listen (or should I say read).

Peter

"earljones" wrote in message
im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a word form
so
that the information in the field is copied to several other fields
automatically. My office uses an intake document where the client's name
must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Peter,

There are two ways you could approach this. First, though, open the troublesome document and press Alt-F9 to expose the field codes.

One way is to format each of the REF fields with the font attributes you want and apply a MERGEFORMAT switch to the fields, thus:
{REF BkMrk \* MERGEFORMAT}
The other way is to format the 'R' in each of the REF fields with the font attributes you want and apply a CHARFORMAT switch to the
fields, thus:
{REF BkMrk \* CHARFORMAT}
In my experience the CHARFORMAT switch works more reliably.

Press Alt-F9 again when you're done to toggle the field code display off.

As for macropod, think Australian fauna.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"earljones" wrote in message
im using microsoft office 2003, how do i set a text field in a word form
so
that the information in the field is copied to several other fields
automatically. My office uses an intake document where the client's name
must
be typed several times as well as some other information in the document.

Insert source texts into multiple files and update automatically robfer Microsoft Word Help 9 September 12th 07 10:10 PM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
help, problem with text field in word 2003 Salvatore Microsoft Word Help 1 January 21st 05 03:40 PM