Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Marge

Default Percent Merge from Excel to Word

I have been dealing with this lovely Merge issue - and I'm getting pretty
good with the switches for Excel sheets I cannot convert to text. But I have
one that will not follow the rules. I have an Excel spreadsheet with a column
of numbers that are formatted as percent, with two decimal places. The Word
document has a merge field (called FTE) in it based on this column in Excel,
and without switches I get interesting numbers - 100% is 1.00, numbers less
than 100% (i.e. .84%) appear with long integers 0.846348938943 , etc. I have
tried the #\ switch, giving it all kinds of "formats" to show just two digits
to the right of the decimal. I can get it to do that correctly, but I cannot
get it to show anything other than a single "1" to the left of the decimal
(100% appears as 1, not 100). I have tried the calculating suggestion on Mr.
Mayor's website { ={Mergefield FTE} *100\# "0%"} ... that gives me a "Syntax
Error" in my Word document and does not merge. I tried re-writing that
caclulating merge field several ways, but I cannot get passed the Syntax
Error. Can anyone HELP me?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

{ ={Mergefield FTE} *100\# "0%"}

Usually, the problem is caused by using the regular keyboard characters for
the { and } surrounding the merge field, instead of inserting them using
ctrl-F9.

It may make no diffeence, but I would also be careful with the spacing. Try:

{ ={ MERGEFIELD FTE }*100 \# "0%" }

(the main thing is to ensure there is a space before the "\")

Peter Jamieson

"Marge" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Marge

Peter,

The ctrl-F9 was the problem. Thank you very much - it works!