Michael Yorke

Default FILE | OPEN - default behavior ???

Hi,

I am really foxed with this issue. Here's the background: Two near
identical machines, both have Windows XP SP2, both have Office 2003 with the
latest service packs (I think). Both built idependantly (i.e. not cloned or
ghosted).

When I click "FILE | OPEN" or "FILE | SAVE" in either Word or Excel and
browse to a network drive, which contains many subfolders and many different
office documents (.doc, .xls, .ppt etc), the dialog box displays these files
and folders differently between these two PC's.

One machine displays the contents of the network drive alphabetically,
showing the first folder at the top, you then scroll along past all the other
folders and eventually to the files. The other machine shows the contents of
the drive by jumping past all the folders and highlighting the first
available document for that application i.e. a .doc file if using Word or an
..xls file is using Excel. You then have to scroll back or up to get to the
first folder on that drive.

I don't know how to control this behavior. Does anyone? I have looked
through the options within Word and Excel and also the GPO add-ins for these
applications but no luck.

Can anyone help?

Mike.
Jezebel

Experiment with clicking the column head captions. This determines the sort
order for the items listed; and Word remembers the setting. (If the captions
aren't showing, click the Views button on the toolbar, then select Details.)

"Michael Yorke" wrote in message
[...]

How is the ~$... file created when you open a document used? Doug Bruening Microsoft Word Help 7 August 12th 05 12:54 PM
Can't open a file in word 2002 unless I open it in word pad. hillr5 Microsoft Word Help 2 May 6th 05 01:46 PM
open file talbert Microsoft Word Help 1 May 3rd 05 03:14 PM
Text Recovery and Open & Repair in WD 2003? UserRAW1975 Microsoft Word Help 1 December 22nd 04 03:00 AM
Recover A File That Will Not Open xsmearedblackinkx Microsoft Word Help 1 November 28th 04 12:26 AM