Karen Hart

Default Date Field in Merge Document

How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current date of
the merge, then does not update after that point? In other words, after the
merge is complete, the resulting document's date field should be
automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach the user to unlink the field
with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are several of these date codes throughout
the form file, inlcuding headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk
that the user forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Karen Hart

Thanks so much, Graham. You dah man!
Is there a similar function for the document id code? To insert the new name
and path of the resulting merged document?

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach the
user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, inlcuding
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Charles Kenyon

You can insert the field for this but realize it won't give a real name
until after the document is saved and the field is updated.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

ink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach the
user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, inlcuding
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Karen Hart

By just inserting the path/filename merge code?

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
You can insert the field for this but realize it won't give a real name
until after the document is saved and the field is updated.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

ink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach the
user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, inlcuding
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Graham Mayor

You would have to merge to a new document, save that document then insert
the field. As Charles has indicated the name doesn't exist until the
document is saved and it is not saved as part of the merge process.

Karen Hart wrote:
By just inserting the path/filename merge code?

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
You can insert the field for this but realize it won't give a real
name until after the document is saved and the field is updated.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

ink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach
the user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, inlcuding
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Karen Hart

Thank you Graham, that is what I realize. Because of that, I am trying to
create a form file that will have some kind of automated coding so the end
user does not have to know to do these steps that you outline below after
they save and name the document. It would be ideal if I could code something
in the pre-merged document. For example, in Corel, the filename/path code
can be inserted pre-merge, and take on the new document name after it is
merged and saved as a new document.

Karen Hart wrote:
By just inserting the path/filename merge code?

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
You can insert the field for this but realize it won't give a real
name until after the document is saved and the field is updated.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

ink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach
the user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, inlcuding
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Charles Kenyon

It is a field on the header footer AutoText menu or available through Insert
Field.

You can put the field into your merged document but it will not show a
correct name and path until after the document is saved and the field is
updated. If in a header / footer it will generally be updated when you print
or do a print preview. If in the body, you'll need something that updates
your fields.

I had thought you could put it in the primary merge document before the
merge, but checked when I read Graham's post and was mistaken. Word converts
the field to text during the merge. (The primary way I use mail merge is to
merge to the screen for a single client. I then print and save the merged
document, with active fields. So putting it in the primary merge document
works for me. I realize that most people actually perform a merge for
multiple files.)

It should be relatively simple to put together a processing macro that (1)
performs the merge, (2) saves the result document, (3) inserts the field you
want (which will then be correct when inserted), and then saves the document
again. This could be put on a (floating) custom toolbar for your users to
perform the merge.

The following is the command to insert the field.
Selection.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Type:=wdFieldEmpty, _
Text:= "FILENAME \p ", _
PreserveFormatting:=False

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Karen Hart" wrote in message
nk.net...
By just inserting the path/filename merge code?

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
You can insert the field for this but realize it won't give a real name
until after the document is saved and the field is updated.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

ink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach the
user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, inlcuding
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Karen Hart

Graham,
I tried that and am getting a strange result. The resulting merged document
is displaying the date the original merge form was created...not the date
the original merge form is being merged. Does that make sense? In other
words, I changed the form document on Jan. 14 and coded the date to be
CREATEDATE. Now, every time the form is merged, the resulting date
displayed is Jan. 14. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you.
Karen

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach the
user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, inlcuding
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Karen Hart

Thank you Charles, but...Since we already have tons of documents set up as
merge files, heavily coded with all kinds of data fields, if statements,
etc., how can we accomplish this date function without going your suggested
route? We would like to keep all these docs as merge forms rather than
changing them all over to templates.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach the
user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, inlcuding
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Charles Kenyon

Template and merge form are not mutually exclusive types. Save your merge
forms as templates, in an appropriate Workgroup templates folder. When you
want to do a merge, create a new document based on the template (File New)
and merge to it. Links to your database established in the template will be
maintained.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

hlink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach the
user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, inlcuding
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Karen Hart

Thank you again Charles, but since I explained that this is not the route
we want to take for a multitude of reasons, that are too numerous to go into
at this time, are you suggesting that there is NO mergedate solution if the
files remain merge files?
Karen

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
Template and merge form are not mutually exclusive types. Save your merge
forms as templates, in an appropriate Workgroup templates folder. When you
want to do a merge, create a new document based on the template (File
New) and merge to it. Links to your database established in the template
will be maintained.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

hlink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach the
user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, inlcuding
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Charles Kenyon

There is no automatic route I know of for you to take unless you are willing
to change your merge files into templates and create new documents based on
the templates. Once such a new document is created from the template, with
your updated date in it, you can merge it.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Karen Hart" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thank you again Charles, but since I explained that this is not the route
we want to take for a multitude of reasons, that are too numerous to go
into at this time, are you suggesting that there is NO mergedate solution
if the files remain merge files?
Karen

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
Template and merge form are not mutually exclusive types. Save your merge
forms as templates, in an appropriate Workgroup templates folder. When
you want to do a merge, create a new document based on the template (File
New) and merge to it. Links to your database established in the

template will be maintained.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

hlink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach the
user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, inlcuding
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Graham Mayor

The date in the createdate in the merge source document is irrelevant. If
you merge to a new document the date that document is created becomes the
createdate for that document. If the field shows the wrong date select all
(CTRL+A) then update (F9). That should fix it.

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach the
user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, including
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Karen Hart

Thank you so much for replying, Graham. Coincidentally, I was on your web
site checking it out exactly when your reply came :-) What a cool web site!
I love it! And I love that cute little thing that follows my pointer
around!

Anyway, once again, I tried...I insert this into the merge MAIN document:
{CREATEDATE \@ "MMMMd, yyyy" \* MERGEFORMAT}.

But sure enough, when I merge it, this is what I see:
August 24, 2000
(This is the date I originally created this merge source document).
(Ctrl-A), (F9) is changing nothing, no matter if I do it before and/or after
merging.
Please help me out of the twilight zone!!

Thanks again,
Karen

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach the
user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, including
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Graham Mayor

This is not going to work That's what comes from not testing the
suggestions before posting.

Change the field back to a DATE field, update it, then merge to a new
document
CTRL+A then CTRL+SHIFT+F9
will fix it.

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach
the user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, including
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Greg Maxey

For every lover of that infernal thing there is a hater ;-)

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In
other words, after the merge is complete, the resulting
document's date field should be automatically unlinked. I do
not want to teach the user to unlink the field with
Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are several of these date codes
throughout the form file, including headers and footers, and
also I don't want to risk that the user forgets to unlink the
date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Graham Mayor

I think you are in a minority of those who comment

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the
current date of the merge, then does not update after that
point? In other words, after the merge is complete, the
resulting document's date field should be automatically
unlinked. I do not want to teach the user to unlink the field
with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are several of these date
codes throughout the form file, including headers and footers,
and also I don't want to risk that the user forgets to unlink
the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Karen Hart

Since there will be a date at the top of the letter, as well as in the
second page header, is there some code I can put in at the end of the merge,
so the end user does not have to remember to do this every time they create
a letter?
Thank you,
Karen

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach
the user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, including
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Graham Mayor

The user shouldn't have to remember to insert a second page header. Set the
second page header up in the document template (or the merge source
document) Word remembers the header settings. Insert a temporary page break,
create your headers then remove the page break - see
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the
current date of the merge, then does not update after that
point? In other words, after the merge is complete, the
resulting document's date field should be automatically
unlinked. I do not want to teach the user to unlink the field
with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are several of these date
codes throughout the form file, including headers and footers,
and also I don't want to risk that the user forgets to unlink
the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Graham Mayor

That works

Peter Jamieson wrote:
How about

{ QUOTE "{ DATE }" }

?

Peter Jamieson

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the
current date of the merge, then does not update after that
point? In other words, after the merge is complete, the
resulting document's date field should be automatically
unlinked. I do not want to teach the user to unlink the field
with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are several of these date
codes throughout the form file, including headers and footers,
and also I don't want to risk that the user forgets to unlink
the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Karen Hart

Hello Peter,
I'm sorry I don't understand your reference below { QUOTE "{ DATE }" }
Is this a merge field I put in the merge form? If so, how do I insert it?
Thank you,
Karen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
How about

{ QUOTE "{ DATE }" }

?

Peter Jamieson

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach
the user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, including
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Karen Hart

Graham,
I already have that in my merge source document. My question is, how to be
sure that header as well as the first page date are both fixed after the
merge is complete. :-)
Karen

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the
current date of the merge, then does not update after that
point? In other words, after the merge is complete, the
resulting document's date field should be automatically
unlinked. I do not want to teach the user to unlink the field
with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are several of these date
codes throughout the form file, including headers and footers,
and also I don't want to risk that the user forgets to unlink
the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Peter Jamieson

It's an example of a "nested field". You can't usually enter them easily
using e.g. Insert|Field, so...

Use ctrl F9 to insert a pair of the special field braces {}

Type QUOTE "" in between to give you { QUOTE "" }

Put the insertion point between the "" and press ctrl-F9 to give you

{ QUOTE "{}" }

Type DATE between the inner {} to give you

{ QUOTE "{ DATE }" }

Peter Jamieson
ink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach
the user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, including
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Graham Mayor

The header is fixed by having a different first page header and setting the
first and subsequent page headers before you merge. As indicated in my last
post, Word will remember what you have setup when you remove the temporary
page break. Setting up letterheads is explained in more detail at
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

The date is a little more complex, but the simplest plan is to use a Quote
field
{Quote {Date \@ "d MMM yyyy"}}
will fix the date as text in the merged document. Change the mask to suit
local date patterns.

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the
current date of the merge, then does not update after that
point? In other words, after the merge is complete, the
resulting document's date field should be automatically
unlinked. I do not want to teach the user to unlink the field
with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are several of these date
codes throughout the form file, including headers and footers,
and also I don't want to risk that the user forgets to unlink
the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Karen Hart

Thank you so much, Peter! It works great, in the header, too! And your
directions are so clear :-)
The only thing I can't finess is how to make it print like March 25, 2005
instead of 3/25/05. I experimented with some variations of what Graham
wrote above, but I was unable to make it work. Can I impose on you one more
time for this final step?

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach
the user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, including
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Peter Jamieson

In this case the date format switch needs to be applied to the DATE field,
not the QUOTE field, so try

{ QUOTE "{ DATE \@"MMMM DD, YYYY" }" }

If that does not work, can you let us know what you are seeing?

Peter Jamieson

ink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In
other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach
the user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there
are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, including
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Karen Hart

That works beautifully! Thank you so much for all your help, and for your
very clear directions.

Is there anywhere I can read about such other wonderful secret codes
obtained by manually typing commands such as QUOTE between Ctrl-F9 brackets?
I am wondering if all of the power and control of WordPerfect merge codes is
hiding in there somewhere!!! :-)

Thank you again, Peter!
Karen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
In this case the date format switch needs to be applied to the DATE field,
not the QUOTE field, so try

{ QUOTE "{ DATE \@"MMMM DD, YYYY" }" }

If that does not work, can you let us know what you are seeing?

Peter Jamieson

ink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the
current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In
other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's
date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach
the user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there
are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, including
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Peter Jamieson

Almost all of the available field codes are documented in Word Help, usually
near the bottom of the table of contents.The "=" field is usually hardest to
find if you search Word Help. Some field types such as ADDIN are not
documented (AFAIK) but are not usually useful for end users, and others such
as DATA are old field types that are typically updated automatically by Word
if you use them.

I never used WordPerfect very much but my understanding is that the way
data sources and the "merge code language" works in WP is more powerful than
the Word equivalents.

Peter Jamieson

"Karen Hart" wrote in message
news
That works beautifully! Thank you so much for all your help, and for your
very clear directions.

Is there anywhere I can read about such other wonderful secret codes
obtained by manually typing commands such as QUOTE between Ctrl-F9
brackets? I am wondering if all of the power and control of WordPerfect
merge codes is hiding in there somewhere!!! :-)

Thank you again, Peter!
Karen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
In this case the date format switch needs to be applied to the DATE
field, not the QUOTE field, so try

{ QUOTE "{ DATE \@"MMMM DD, YYYY" }" }

If that does not work, can you let us know what you are seeing?

Peter Jamieson

ink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the
current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In
other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's
date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to teach
the user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there
are
several of these date codes throughout the form file, including
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the
user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Karen Hart

Thank you again! What is ADDIN, and what is AFAIK? Since I am not an end
user (I am an MSAccess developer, extracting records from Access and
interfacing/merging with Word merge forms), maybe I will be interested :-)

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Almost all of the available field codes are documented in Word Help,
usually near the bottom of the table of contents.The "=" field is usually
hardest to find if you search Word Help. Some field types such as ADDIN
are not documented (AFAIK) but are not usually useful for end users, and
others such as DATA are old field types that are typically updated
automatically by Word if you use them.

I never used WordPerfect very much but my understanding is that the way
data sources and the "merge code language" works in WP is more powerful
than the Word equivalents.

Peter Jamieson

"Karen Hart" wrote in message
news
That works beautifully! Thank you so much for all your help, and for your
very clear directions.

Is there anywhere I can read about such other wonderful secret codes
obtained by manually typing commands such as QUOTE between Ctrl-F9
brackets? I am wondering if all of the power and control of WordPerfect
merge codes is hiding in there somewhere!!! :-)

Thank you again, Peter!
Karen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
In this case the date format switch needs to be applied to the DATE
field, not the QUOTE field, so try

{ QUOTE "{ DATE \@"MMMM DD, YYYY" }" }

If that does not work, can you let us know what you are seeing?

Peter Jamieson

ink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the
current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In
other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's
date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to
teach
the user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there
are
several of these date codes throughout the form file,
including
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the
user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Charles Kenyon

ADDIN is a field that you don't need to worry about. AFAIK means as far as
I know.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Karen Hart" wrote in message
k.net...
Thank you again! What is ADDIN, and what is AFAIK? Since I am not an end
user (I am an MSAccess developer, extracting records from Access and
interfacing/merging with Word merge forms), maybe I will be interested :-)

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Almost all of the available field codes are documented in Word Help,
usually near the bottom of the table of contents.The "=" field is usually
hardest to find if you search Word Help. Some field types such as ADDIN
are not documented (AFAIK) but are not usually useful for end users, and
others such as DATA are old field types that are typically updated
automatically by Word if you use them.

I never used WordPerfect very much but my understanding is that the way
data sources and the "merge code language" works in WP is more powerful
than the Word equivalents.

Peter Jamieson

"Karen Hart" wrote in message
news
That works beautifully! Thank you so much for all your help, and for
your very clear directions.

Is there anywhere I can read about such other wonderful secret codes
obtained by manually typing commands such as QUOTE between Ctrl-F9
brackets? I am wondering if all of the power and control of WordPerfect
merge codes is hiding in there somewhere!!! :-)

Thank you again, Peter!
Karen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
In this case the date format switch needs to be applied to the DATE
field, not the QUOTE field, so try

{ QUOTE "{ DATE \@"MMMM DD, YYYY" }" }

If that does not work, can you let us know what you are seeing?

Peter Jamieson

ink.net...

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the
current
date of the merge, then does not update after that point? In
other
words, after the merge is complete, the resulting document's
date
field should be automatically unlinked. I do not want to
teach
the user to unlink the field with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because
there are
several of these date codes throughout the form file,
including
headers and footers, and also I don't want to risk that the
user
forgets to unlink the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Peter Jamieson

AFAIK=As far as I know.

I don't know the full history of the ADDIN field, but I believe it was
intended to allow third party programs such as Personal information managers
(PIMs) to maintain their private data in a way that Word would not normally
touch. I have read that they are used by the program "Endnote" too. They are
similar to PRIVATE fields which are, or were, used by Word when it opens a
WordPerfect format doc, in essence to save information that it will need
when it saves back to WP format.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...ldsContent.htm for info on
ADDIN fields. I'm not sure this info. is the last word on the subject.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/200318 for further info. on PRIVATE
fields.

Peter Jamieson

"Karen Hart" wrote in message
k.net...
Thank you again! What is ADDIN, and what is AFAIK? Since I am not an end
user (I am an MSAccess developer, extracting records from Access and
interfacing/merging with Word merge forms), maybe I will be interested :-)

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Almost all of the available field codes are documented in Word Help,
usually near the bottom of the table of contents.The "=" field is usually
hardest to find if you search Word Help. Some field types such as ADDIN
are not documented (AFAIK) but are not usually useful for end users, and
others such as DATA are old field types that are typically updated
automatically by Word if you use them.

I never used WordPerfect very much but my understanding is that the way
data sources and the "merge code language" works in WP is more powerful
than the Word equivalents.

Peter Jamieson

"Karen Hart" wrote in message
news
That works beautifully! Thank you so much for all your help, and for
your very clear directions.

Is there anywhere I can read about such other wonderful secret codes
obtained by manually typing commands such as QUOTE between Ctrl-F9
brackets? I am wondering if all of the power and control of WordPerfect
merge codes is hiding in there somewhere!!! :-)

Thank you again, Peter!
Karen

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
In this case the date format switch needs to be applied to the DATE
field, not the QUOTE field, so try

{ QUOTE "{ DATE \@"MMMM DD, YYYY" }" }

If that does not work, can you let us know what you are seeing?

Peter Jamieson

ink.net...