Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Bjorn Bjorn is offline

Default Lock table header to prevent modification

I need to create a document that has multiple tables, and each table will
have a header that never changes and then subsequent rows below the header in
which I can enter text. For example, I would like to create a table that has
a header of "Client contacts" as the first row of the table that can't be
clicked into or modified (because it is locked) and then have one or more
rows below the header where I can enter the actual client contact information.

I don't know if this is possible but it would make the document template
much easier to use because you wouldn't have to worry about clicking into the
header and entering something by mistake.
--
Bjorn
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you can live with the limitations imposed by using a document that is
protected for forms, you could insert formfields into the cells in the rows
in which you want to be able to insert data and when you protect the
document, other areas of it cannot be accessed.

If you need to be able to add more rows, containing the formfields, the
following macro can he used for that if it is set to be run on exit from the
last formfield in the last row of the table. It contains and example of how
you would have a couple of the formfields set as dropdown type formfields,
but that can be changed if that is not required.

Dim rownum As Integer, i As Integer
With ActiveDocument
.Unprotect
.Tables(1).Rows.Add
rownum = .Tables(1).Rows.Count
For i = 1 To 3
.FormFields.Add Range:=.Tables(1).Cell(rownum, i).Range,
Type:=wdFieldFormTextInput
Next i
.FormFields.Add Range:=.Tables(1).Cell(rownum, 4).Range,
Type:=wdFieldFormDropDown
With .Tables(1).Cell(rownum, 4).Range.FormFields(1).DropDown.ListEntries
.Add "Item1"
.Add "Item2"
.Add "Item3"
.Add "Item4"
.Add "Item5"
End With
.FormFields.Add Range:=.Tables(1).Cell(rownum, 5).Range,
Type:=wdFieldFormDropDown
With .Tables(1).Cell(rownum, 5).Range.FormFields(1).DropDown.ListEntries
.Add "ItemA"
.Add "ItemB"
.Add "ItemC"
.Add "ItemD"
.Add "ItemE"
End With
.Tables(1).Cell(rownum, 5).Range.FormFields(1).ExitMacro = "addrow"
.Tables(1).Cell(rownum, 1).Range.FormFields(1).Select
.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True
End With

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Bjorn" wrote in message
I need to create a document that has multiple tables, and each table will
have a header that never changes and then subsequent rows below the header
in
which I can enter text. For example, I would like to create a table that
has
a header of "Client contacts" as the first row of the table that can't be
clicked into or modified (because it is locked) and then have one or more
rows below the header where I can enter the actual client contact
information.

I don't know if this is possible but it would make the document template
much easier to use because you wouldn't have to worry about clicking into
the
header and entering something by mistake.
--
Bjorn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"Bjorn" wrote:

I need to create a document that has multiple tables, and each table will
have a header that never changes and then subsequent rows below the header in
which I can enter text. For example, I would like to create a table that has
a header of "Client contacts" as the first row of the table that can't be
clicked into or modified (because it is locked) and then have one or more
rows below the header where I can enter the actual client contact information.

I don't know if this is possible but it would make the document template
much easier to use because you wouldn't have to worry about clicking into the
header and entering something by mistake.

Here is something I have done before for more or less the same reasons you
write about. If you can have all new tables in the document start on a new
page, then you can use New Page section breaks between each table. Then,
making sure you do not link each header to the the header in the previous
section, you can position the table header (the first (or first few) row) in
the header. With careful measurements and a few print out test, you can
position the table header exactly. This way, users cannot click in the table
header as it will be in the page header.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] smgreen9@gmail.com is offline

Hi Doug

I do not understand the formfield that you refer to. I have a Word
document that I have created a customized table and want to lock
Headers on certain lines and then have other lines to have the capability of
typing info in, changing info as needed. I first thought of an interactive,
fill-in
pdf but then thought why not just use my existing Word document and modify
so the headers cannot be changed. I am stumped though. Appreciate your
feedback. Thanks
--
mnemaus

"Bjorn" wrote in message
I need to create a document that has multiple tables, and each table will
have a header that never changes and then subsequent rows below the header
in
which I can enter text. For example, I would like to create a table that
has
a header of "Client contacts" as the first row of the table that can't be
clicked into or modified (because it is locked) and then have one or more
rows below the header where I can enter the actual client contact
information.

I don't know if this is possible but it would make the document template
much easier to use because you wouldn't have to worry about clicking into
the
header and entering something by mistake.
--
Bjorn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

See:

http://www.mousetrax.com/techpage.html#autoforms

Please Fill Out This Form
Part 1: Create professional looking forms in Word
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22

Part 2: Adding Automation to your Word forms.
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=46

Part 3: Learn more VBA (macros) to automate your forms.
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=119

Part 4: Use custom dialog boxes in your Word forms
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=127

Part 5: Connect your AutoForm to a database to save input time and keep
better records!
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=136

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

" wrote in
message ...

"Bjorn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Henk57[_191_] Henk57[_191_] is offline

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
-
[...]

wrote in message
...-
[...]

Along similar lines Jean-Guy suggest, I would consider to link your
table header from another "dummy" table header. (Copy then Edit/Paste
Special.../Paste as link). You can put the table header in a place far
from the actual table with the data, e.g. somewhere in an accompanying
page, or even in a different document with password protection.
Ok, it still can be changed (and the header can be removed), but not
accidentally. HTH

--
Henk57