birdwatcher

Default How do I add times in a table? so that 4:15 + 2:30 = 6:45

In a column in a table, I have been given the hours and minutes taken in the
form
hh:mm
I am asked to show the total time taken.

birdwatcher

Thanks for your reply. Actually, this question appears on a City and Guilds
Level 3 WORD PROCESSING exam, I can only think of one word processor (a very
old version of WordPerfect) that allows the addition of hours and minutes in
a table. The question specifically refers to a table created in the Word
Processor.The course book uses WORD 2000 (and 2003). I'll keep searching.
Anymore help would be most welcomed

"Richard Neville" wrote:

I don't know of any way to do this in Word, but it's easy to do in Excel.
You could create the table in Excel and paste it into the Word document with
a link.

"birdwatcher" wrote in message
news
In a column in a table, I have been given the hours and minutes taken in
the
form
hh:mm
I am asked to show the total time taken.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YmlyZHdhdGNoZXI=?=,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, this question appears on a City and Guilds
Level 3 WORD PROCESSING exam, I can only think of one word processor (a very
old version of WordPerfect) that allows the addition of hours and minutes in
a table. The question specifically refers to a table created in the Word
Processor.The course book uses WORD 2000 (and 2003). I'll keep searching.
Anymore help would be most welcomed

I can't believe anyone would ask this. What's more, I can't believe I actually
figured it out sigh

1. you have to bookmark each time you're going to calculate with

2. You have to use a combination of =, If and Compare, with an IF field for
each and every possible time element. Since that's incredibly long, I'm only
going to show you the skeleton, it's up to you to write it all out...

{ = ({ IF { compare { Ref time1 } = "01:*" } = 1 "01" }{ IF { compare { Ref
time1 } = "02:*" } = 1 "02" }[continue here through 12]} - { IF { compare { Ref
time2 } = "01:*" } = 1 "01" }{ IF { compare { Ref time2 } = "02:*" } = 1 "02"
}[continue here through 12]}):[now do the same for time1 and time 2 from 00
through 59] \# "00" }

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

birdwatcher

Wow ....
I didn't think it was that easy!!!!!!!!! I can't imagine what the City and
Guilds examiners had in mind when they set this question, still I'm not
taking the exam - I was asked this quetion by someone who is though. I
havelooked at the exam paper on their web site. I have also looked at the
course material and there is no hint, other than "sum above" which clearly
does not work. Thanks for you time and trouble.

Hi ?B?YmlyZHdhdGNoZXI=?=,