ALJ

Default Round numbers to 2 decimal places when using Word Mail Merge

How can I limit a mergefield to 2 decimal places using Mail Merge. I am
connected to an Access query that is set up to limit results to 2 decimal
places but it doesn't appear the same in the merged Word Doc. Is there a
switch to accomplish this task or does anyone know of a way I can set the
field up? Thanks!
Andy
Peter Jamieson

You can try using a numeric formatting switch in Word, e.g. use Alt-F9 to
reveal the appropriate field code and change e.g.

{ MERGEFIELD mynumber }

{ MERGEFIELD mynumber \#"0.00" }

- have a look at Word help for other types of formatting you can apply.

You need to check that this does the correct kind of "limit"ing, i.e. if you
want rounding, make sure it does rounding; if you want truncation, make sure
it does that. If it doesn't do the thing you need you may need to change the
way you are limiting the decimal places in your query (and there can be
additional problems if the number comes from a field of type currency).

Peter Jamieson

"ALJ" wrote in message
How can I limit a mergefield to 2 decimal places using Mail Merge. I am
connected to an Access query that is set up to limit results to 2 decimal
places but it doesn't appear the same in the merged Word Doc. Is there a
switch to accomplish this task or does anyone know of a way I can set the
field up? Thanks!
Andy

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Round numbers to 2 decimal places when using Word Mail Merge

Hi Andy,

To limit a mergefield to 2 decimal places in Word Mail Merge, you can use the "FORMAT" switch. Here's how:
  1. Open your Word document and go to the Mailings tab.
  2. Click on "Insert Merge Field" and select the mergefield you want to format.
  3. After inserting the mergefield, add the "FORMAT" switch by typing "\#0.00" (without the quotes) immediately after the mergefield name. This will format the number to 2 decimal places.
  4. Repeat this process for any other mergefields that need to be formatted.

For example, if your mergefield is named "Price", the code would look like this:
PHP Code:
Price\#0.00
]