Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
100101011101

Default How do I create a table of contents with my document already typed

I've typed up my study notes, but i want a table of contents/ index and at
the footer, the title of the subject and the subheading near where the page
numbers are.

Also, when you scroll how do you show the subject/ subheading like in this
screenshot?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

1. Select where you want to insert your TOC. Go to Insert Reference
Index and Tables Table of Contents. Automatic TOC assumes that you've used
Heading styles, or tagged the paragraphs that you want to use as headings.

2. If you've set the Title and Subject on the File Properties dialog, you
can display them in the footer (or anywhere else for that matter) using
DocProperty fields. You can display the first or last paragraph of a given
style on the page using a StyleRef field. (Usually but not necessarily a
heading style.)

3. When scrolling, Word displays the first heading on page.

From the sounds of it, you're not familiar with Word's styles and why you
should be using them. Invest some time in finding out: you will save
yourself a HEAP of work in future. (Just do a Google: plenty of people have
written sites explaining it.)