Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JackieL JackieL is offline

Default Formatting Using Tabs

Hi,
So let's say you have a list that is not formatted at all. You want to
format it using tabs with leaders. I know how to do this if I am typing the
list from scratch but what if the list is already there, as in...
(parameters = R tab-2.25, L tab-3.25 w/ leaders)
Item 1 description
Item 2 description
Item 3 desciption
I tried a number of different ways to get this formatted but ended up
deleting the already there list and doing it from scratch.

Also, is there a way to select the whole list and do it all at one time
rather than one line at a time?

Lastly, Word 2007 Bible or Word 2007 InsideOut...any comments on which is
better?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can certainly select the entire list and insert the required tab stops
(all of which except for the leader can be done from the ruler). What you
can't do so easily is insert the tab characters; unless you can find a
"regular expression" (wildcard) to use in a Replace operation, you're going
to have to do it manually.

http://word.mvps.org

"JackieL" wrote in message
Hi,
So let's say you have a list that is not formatted at all. You want to
format it using tabs with leaders. I know how to do this if I am typing
the
list from scratch but what if the list is already there, as in...
(parameters = R tab-2.25, L tab-3.25 w/ leaders)
Item 1 description
Item 2 description
Item 3 desciption
I tried a number of different ways to get this formatted but ended up
deleting the already there list and doing it from scratch.

Also, is there a way to select the whole list and do it all at one time
rather than one line at a time?

Lastly, Word 2007 Bible or Word 2007 InsideOut...any comments on which is
better?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JackieL JackieL is offline

Thanks so much for answering so fast! Now all we need to do is convince the
MS programmers to add a "format painter"of sorts for a tabbed list (with
leaders)
Have a great day!

"JackieL" wrote in message
Hi,
So let's say you have a list that is not formatted at all. You want to
format it using tabs with leaders. I know how to do this if I am typing
the
list from scratch but what if the list is already there, as in...
(parameters = R tab-2.25, L tab-3.25 w/ leaders)
Item 1 description
Item 2 description
Item 3 desciption
I tried a number of different ways to get this formatted but ended up
deleting the already there list and doing it from scratch.

Also, is there a way to select the whole list and do it all at one time
rather than one line at a time?

Lastly, Word 2007 Bible or Word 2007 InsideOut...any comments on which is
better?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Well, the "format painter" in general for any kind of format is already
the it's called Styles. You define a style that has the tab stops and
other formatting you want and then apply it as required.

http://word.mvps.org