Mary Lee

Default Page Numbering

In Word 2002, I want to number my front matter with i, ii, etc., and begin
numbering on the back side of the cover - the literal page 2. Even when I go
in on that page, format page numbering, and tell it to begin with "i" on that
page, it keeps giving me "ii" instead. I have done this at other jobs before
without a problem (I was using 2003 at the time, and before that, I think I
did it in 97).
--
Thanks!
Mary Lee
Charles Kenyon

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Mary Lee" wrote in message
In Word 2002, I want to number my front matter with i, ii, etc., and begin
numbering on the back side of the cover - the literal page 2. Even when I
go
in on that page, format page numbering, and tell it to begin with "i" on
that
page, it keeps giving me "ii" instead. I have done this at other jobs
before
without a problem (I was using 2003 at the time, and before that, I think
did it in 97).
--
Thanks!
Mary Lee

Margaret Aldis

If you have either "Different odd and even" or "Mirror margins" selected,
Word behaves as if the document is designed for duplex printing. That means
it enforces the convention that "recto" (right-hand) pages must always have
odd numbering, and "verso" pages even numbering. The Odd page/Even page
Section breaks follow the same rules - Odd page forces the new section onto
a recto page.

Conversely, if you don't have these settings, page numbers can be changed
freely, but odd/even is determined by the numeric page number. In this case,
for instance, you'll find that an "Odd" section break before a restarted
page numbering at 1 will always be satisfied and will never produce a blank
sheet, however many pages in the section before it.

So bottom line is that you can't break with the conventions unless you get
rid of the odd/even differences in your page layout.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Mary Lee" wrote in message
In Word 2002, I want to number my front matter with i, ii, etc., and begin
numbering on the back side of the cover - the literal page 2. Even when I
go
in on that page, format page numbering, and tell it to begin with "i" on
that
page, it keeps giving me "ii" instead. I have done this at other jobs
before
without a problem (I was using 2003 at the time, and before that, I think
did it in 97).
--
Thanks!
Mary Lee

Mary Lee

Thanks, guys! I do have Different First Page and Diffferent Odd and Even.
Looks like I'm saved by not needing to have a page number on my copyright
page, which is on the back side of my cover.
--
Thanks!
Mary Lee

"Mary Lee" wrote in message
In Word 2002, I want to number my front matter with i, ii, etc., and begin
numbering on the back side of the cover - the literal page 2. Even when I
go
in on that page, format page numbering, and tell it to begin with "i" on
that
page, it keeps giving me "ii" instead. I have done this at other jobs
before
without a problem (I was using 2003 at the time, and before that, I think
did it in 97).
--
Thanks!
Mary Lee

Geetha

hie...thanks...but in the print preview page...there;s only the magnifying
icon...s double clicking is not working......my version is the 2003 word....