John Corbett

Default Outline heading formatting changes when I change the default numbe

I have created a template that used outline numbering and modified the fonts
and indents for the styles. The template works fine for a new document, but
when I want to change the numbered heading from, say, 1 to 9 (if this
document is to become chapter 9 in a manual), the outline numbering changes
just fine for the level-1 heading and subheadings; however, the indents and
tabs change. How can I prevent this?
--
John Corbett
Anne Troy

If your indents and tabs change, it's likely because you did not properly
set the styles. NEVER use paragraph formatting to change paragraph
formatting (LOL) when using numbering schemas. See:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/h...osoft_word.htm

************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"John Corbett" wrote in message
I have created a template that used outline numbering and modified the
fonts
and indents for the styles. The template works fine for a new document,
but
when I want to change the numbered heading from, say, 1 to 9 (if this
document is to become chapter 9 in a manual), the outline numbering
changes
just fine for the level-1 heading and subheadings; however, the indents
and
tabs change. How can I prevent this?
--
John Corbett

John Corbett

Hi Anne, Thanks for the information, which I've read and read again. Here's
what I did to change the chapter numbers in a skeleton document created with
my custom template: Format | Bullets and Numbering | Customize and changed
the Start at field to 2. This does change the heading 1 to 2 and does change
all subheadings to 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.2 properly. However, the simple
change to numbering also changes the custom indents and tabs I set when I
created the template. It's not a complicated matter to change those indents
and tabs for the current document, if I'm doing this myself, but it's a
nuisance that I do not want to share with other prospective users. I also
have tried going into Format | Styles and Formatting | Modify | Format |
Numbering | Customize and then changing the numbering from 1 to 2 for the
chapter number with the same result: the indents and tab settings I want
change. I am endeavoring to work at the customize number level... but the
indents and tabs have "minds of their own." Any other suggestions? Thanks!
--
John Corbett