Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Default Paragraph Spacing (Before and After)---Exactly

I am trying to figure out how much spacing is used for paragraph
changes.

If I have a paragraph style S, that is 12 pt. font and spacing is set
to EXACTLY 14 pt. and paragraph style D that is set to EXACTLY 24 pt
with a 12 pt font as well. And I type

DDDDD
DDDDD
SSSS
SSSS
DDDD
DDDD

There is a spacing between D to S
and a spacing between S to D.

How can I set S's Before and After to get an exact spacing of 12 pt.
in those gaps? In other words, what spacing is Word using in such a
situation and what do I need to get to it to get my spacing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

When you set "Exactly" spacing, you are adding to (or sometimes reducing)
the amount of leading that is built into the font. This varies from one font
to another based on its design. For Times New Roman, "single" spacing is
approximately 120% of the nominal point size, so 10-pt TNR is
(approximately) 12 pts baseline to baseline.

When you increase the spacing by using Multiple or Exact spacing, you add
space above, below, or both. In Multiple spacing (such as double spacing),
the extra space is added below the text. In Exactly spacing, the excess is
added above unless you enable the Compatibility Option "Don't center 'exact
line height' lines." This is a bit misleading, since they aren't vertically
centered to begin with, but this does at least make them more compatible
with Multiple spacing.

Your 14-pt spacing may well be a little less than the default Single
spacing, so it's not adding anything. The 24-point spacing is adding 10
points more than the 14-pt (and probably adding less than 10 points compared
to Single), so if you wanted 12 pts space, you'd probably need to add at
least 2 pts Spacing Before to D or Spacing After to S.

Note that if you add both Spacing Before and Spacing After, when the two
meet, only the larger amount will be used (they will not be combined) unless
you check the Compatibility Option for "Don't use HTML paragraph auto
spacing."

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
I am trying to figure out how much spacing is used for paragraph
changes.

If I have a paragraph style S, that is 12 pt. font and spacing is set
to EXACTLY 14 pt. and paragraph style D that is set to EXACTLY 24 pt
with a 12 pt font as well. And I type

DDDDD
DDDDD
SSSS
SSSS
DDDD
DDDD

There is a spacing between D to S
and a spacing between S to D.

How can I set S's Before and After to get an exact spacing of 12 pt.
in those gaps? In other words, what spacing is Word using in such a
situation and what do I need to get to it to get my spacing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

One way would be to set both styles to "exactly 14 pt" leading, and do the
10 pt larger spacing in the "D" style with 5 pt before and 5 pt after.

As Suzanne said, the leading is usually about 120% of the font size. Since
you're setting the leading to "exactly", that doesn't matter though.

If you want to do calculations, you'd need the height of upper case
characters (about 70% of the font size, depending on the font) and lower
case letters (about 55% of the font size).

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

BTW, if you really plan to name your styles "S(ingle)" and "D(ouble)", you
might reconsider setting them to 14 pt leading and 24 pt leading. It might
be confusing later when "Double" isn't double the line spacing.

Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Good catch, Klaus. It didn't even occur to me that S and D might stand for
"single" and "double."

http://word.mvps.org

"Klaus Linke" wrote in message
BTW, if you really plan to name your styles "S(ingle)" and "D(ouble)", you
might reconsider setting them to 14 pt leading and 24 pt leading. It might
be confusing later when "Double" isn't double the line spacing.

Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Maybe let me rephrase. Yes, I was using S and D to stand for single
and double. Would not be the style names.

Suppose have D which I set up for 12 pt font with 24 spacing. (12 pt
leading after)
Suppose I have S which I set up for 12 pt with 14 spacing (2 pt
leading)

If I have D paragraph followed by S paragraph followed by D paragraph,
how can I figure out what spacing will give exactly 12 pt between the
S and D paragraphs????

If I make the fonts [say] 14 pt with 28 spacing for D
12 point with 16 spacing for S

Now how much space do I need to have exactly 14 pt between D and S?

In other Words, how much space is Word putting between paragraphs when
the paragraph changes? Knowing that, I can figure out how much to add.

Dealing with government rules that need exact spacing where double
spaced transtions to single and back to double. Specs call for 2 pt
leading (for font sizes of 11, 12, 13 and 14) which is bit less than
the page layout software 120%. Word appanertly uses the internal
leading of the font, so some font font leadings at 12 pt turn out less
than 2 pt. The double always turns out to be more than 2xfont height.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you're required to have 2 points leading, then 14-pt spacing is what you
have to have, but if double spacing is supposed to be double that, then you
need to use 28 pts instead of 24. But what we've been trying to get across
is that there is no way you can ensure exactly 12 points space between the
actual text characters except by trial and error and measuring.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

....especially as EVERY printer is different and what may look perfect on
your printer may be totally wrong on another printer. Can you tell us why
the spacing has to be so meticulously spaced? Ordinarily, if Word is set to
give Space After set to At Least x pt and Space Before is set to zero, the
text looks evenly spaced. However, most cryptographers would state that for
ease of reading, the lines are far too close. For a 12 pt font, At Least 16
pt is far easier to read on a whole page of text (depending on the font in
question).

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Can you tell us why the spacing has to be so meticulously spaced?

He's told us why: GOVERNMENT RULES!

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Ah! Government rules; a very familiar problem usually caused by promoting a
useless, unqualified civil servant into a position of power wielded without
thought or understanding.

Terry

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

....or knowledge of the limitations of Word.

wrote in message
[...]

Paragraph spacing Lorib Microsoft Word Help 3 September 11th 08 08:45 PM
Paragraph Spacing LGFN Page Layout 6 May 30th 06 01:16 AM
paragraph spacing flannad Microsoft Word Help 2 May 7th 06 07:04 AM
paragraph spacing in a STYLE applies within the paragraph eric matschke Microsoft Word Help 5 January 3rd 06 10:16 PM
Paragraph Spacing CAV0227 Page Layout 3 September 27th 05 01:36 PM