pm

Default Page numbers starting over, even with "Same as Previous"

I generally understand page numbering in Word, however this one baffles me...
I have a document w/ several sections for different formatting. At the
bottom of one page it reads "Footer -Section 3- / Same as Previous" and the
page number shows up as page 10. ...this is correct, as it counted correctly
from 1 to 10. However, the very next page jumps to "Footer -Section 5- /
Same as Previous" and displays the page number as page 2. ...?! How can
this possibly be since I never broke the "Same as Previous" link as stated on
above the footer? ...and what happened to Section 4? Note that there are
two section breaks on "page 10"; one to change formatting to two columns, and
one to change it back to one. Could this be messing things up? Bottom line
is that I need the page numbers to continue consecutively, and have no idea
why they are not. Please help. Thanks. pm
Stefan Blom

Page number formatting (including restarts) is a section property. You
need to use the Page Number Format dialog box to specify that page
numbers should continue from the previous section. This is usually
relatively straightforward, but sometimes you can't (easily) see all
headers and footers because there is a continuous section limited to
part of a page (for example if part of a page is formatted in columns).
My guess is that your section 4 is such a section.

To see the section breaks more easily, switch to Normal view. Then
position the cursor in the fourth section. Press CTRL+ENTER to insert a
page break. Now you'll have a visible footer for the fourth section.

Click ViewHeader and Footer to place the cursor in the footer area. On
the Header/Footer toolbar click the Format Page Number button. Under
Page Numbering make sure "Continue from previous section" is selected
and then click OK. Delete the page break when you are done.

If necessary, repeat the procedure for section 5. (Of course, for this
section you don't need the temporary page break.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"pm" wrote in message
[...]

To add to what Stefan has said, "Same as Previous" is (more or less)
unrelated to page numbering. You can restart numbering (and even number
format) in a section without unlinking its header(s) and footer(s) from the
previous one(s). The only time you need to unlink headers/footers is when
you want to change the content--for example, when you want to leave a header
or footer blank or change the text (beyond what is possible with StyleRef
fields).

And note that Same as Previous connects headers/footers of the same type. If
you have both "Different first page" and "Different odd and even" enabled,
you will have six separate headers and footers, and any one or more of them
can be linked to the previous one(s) or not.