Vivek

Default Platform Determination

Hi ALL

I receive the wordfiles from diverse sources. I want to know is there a way
by which I can know what platform(PC or MAC) the word file was made in. In
addition to it I really need to know the version(Word 97,XP,8.0) of the word
in whcih the word file was made

CyberTaz

Suzanne is right, but the info as you ask for it will still not be that
specific ("Word 97 - 2003", for example).

Word has used the same file format on Mac & PC since Mac v6.0/PC Office '97,
so there is no distinction to be made. If you care to elaborate a bit on why
you believe you need to know this info there may be other insights to be
offered.

Regards |:)

"Vivek" wrote:

Hi ALL

I receive the wordfiles from diverse sources. I want to know is there a way
by which I can know what platform(PC or MAC) the word file was made in. In
addition to it I really need to know the version(Word 97,XP,8.0) of the word
in whcih the word file was made

You must be seeing something different from what I see: in Properties view,
I see "Microsoft Office Word" for documents created in Word 2003 (the
currently installed version), and Microsoft Word 8.0 or 10.0 or whatever for
those created in earlier versions (including "Microsoft Word for Windows
95"). Word 6.0 seems to be as far back as it goes; Word 2.0 docs show "No
document properties are available for this file."

"Vivek" wrote:

Hi ALL

I receive the wordfiles from diverse sources. I want to know is there a

way
by which I can know what platform(PC or MAC) the word file was made in.

In
addition to it I really need to know the version(Word 97,XP,8.0) of the

word
in whcih the word file was made

CyberTaz

Quite curious... Every file I've checked going back to the year 1998 show the
same info I posted. I know some of them were created with Word 97 & various
versions since.

Using Word 2003 Version 11.0, Build 6359 SP1 on WinXP Pro.

Any idea why the different presentation of the Properties?

Regards |:)

"Vivek" wrote:

Hi ALL

I receive the wordfiles from diverse sources. I want to know is there a

way
by which I can know what platform(PC or MAC) the word file was made in.

In
addition to it I really need to know the version(Word 97,XP,8.0) of the

word
in whcih the word file was made

11.6502.5408 here. You're definitely using the Properties view in Word's
File Open dialog? Not File | Properties in Word or Properties on the context
menu in Windows Explorer?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You must be seeing something different from what I see: in Properties

view,
I see "Microsoft Office Word" for documents created in Word 2003 (the
currently installed version), and Microsoft Word 8.0 or 10.0 or whatever

for
those created in earlier versions (including "Microsoft Word for Windows
95"). Word 6.0 seems to be as far back as it goes; Word 2.0 docs show

"No
document properties are available for this file."

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Vivek" wrote:

Hi ALL

I receive the wordfiles from diverse sources. I want to know is

there a
way
by which I can know what platform(PC or MAC) the word file was made

in.
In
addition to it I really need to know the version(Word 97,XP,8.0) of

the
word
in whcih the word file was made

CyberTaz

On 9/9/05 5:13 PM, in article ,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You're definitely using the Properties view in Word's
File Open dialog?

Absolutely definitely positive. If I use a WinEx window & rt-click for
Properties it just shows up as "Microsoft Word Document" with no version
indicated at all, regardless of which file's properties I look at.

Curious!

I just located a couple of older WinWord 6.0/95 files here at home on my Mac
& sent them to work so I can see what I get from them Monday.

Regards |:)

Your statements seem to contradict each other. You mention using Windows
Explorer, but that is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the
Properties view in Word's File Open dialog.

"CyberTaz" wrote in message

On 9/9/05 5:13 PM, in article ,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You're definitely using the Properties view in Word's
File Open dialog?

Absolutely definitely positive. If I use a WinEx window & rt-click for
Properties it just shows up as "Microsoft Word Document" with no version
indicated at all, regardless of which file's properties I look at.

Curious!

I just located a couple of older WinWord 6.0/95 files here at home on my

Mac
& sent them to work so I can see what I get from them Monday.

Regards |:)

CyberTaz

Sorry, Suzanne... I misread your post. I took it to mean FileProperties as
opposed to the Open File dialog box. Honestly can't remember for sure, but I
believe I did look there Friday before leaving work & found the same info.
However, I may have simply rt-clicked the file icon while there & looked at
Properties that way. Will make a point of looking there Monday.

Regards |:)