Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] audaxrex@hotmail.com is offline

Default the file vanishes!

....I hope someone can shed some light on what may be not a Word
problem. Simply, I was typing away in Word 2002 when the computer made
a small noise and - my file disappeared. Word stayed open but the doc
was gone.
This happened on a new Acer Aspire N270 Netbook with a 1gb Atom
processor and 160gb HD. The Word isn't the one it came with on trial
but one I installed.
At the time the battery wasn't installed. I'm told that if you run
it with the adapter and house current while the battery is fully
charged, the life of the Li-on battery is reduced. However, I don't
think this was a power fluctuation because nothing flickered or
wavered etc.
I reopened the original doc. It was still there. Then I I went
looking for a temp version of the file and fooled with the 'recover
file' line in the document-type space and eventually found something
with the file name preceeded with a squiggle. When I opened it, I got
my own name repeated three times.
Should I not have reopened the original before hunting up the temp?
The autosave was on and set for ten minutes. I wasn't sure if it had
saved anything on the original doc or not. I did loose work, tho.
Any idea what happened? is my hard drive acting up? I don't see
this happening to others when I search but my worry is that this might
happen again. And yes I am doing a LOT of saving... thanks for reading
this far, folks, and fire away - dax