Sue W

Default Frames and disappearing text

Can anyone advise me on the following:

We have a computer system at work which produces letters via Crystal
Reports. Sometimes we need to export these letters into Word in order to
amend/personalise them. When they are exported to Word, they appear in frames
and this is causing us problems - if we want to add text in the middle of a
frame, the text at the bottom of the frame disappears off the bottom of the
page (it's still in the frame but you can't see it). We can't just copy and
paste to another document or remove the frames as there are lots of other
frames at the top of the page with header details, address details, website
etc - each in separate frames.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
--
Sue W
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U3VlIFc=?=,

We have a computer system at work which produces letters via Crystal
Reports. Sometimes we need to export these letters into Word in order to
amend/personalise them. When they are exported to Word, they appear in frames
and this is causing us problems - if we want to add text in the middle of a
frame, the text at the bottom of the frame disappears off the bottom of the
page (it's still in the frame but you can't see it). We can't just copy and
paste to another document or remove the frames as there are lots of other
frames at the top of the page with header details, address details, website
etc - each in separate frames.

Sounds like you're using some OCR (scanning) functionality to dump the Crystal
Report into Word. I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about what you're
getting, in that case. OCR either picks up text-only (no formatting or layout),
or places blocks of text into frames in order to maintain layout.

You'd need, instead, to develop an entire alternative set of code to export the
data into a Word document (instead of or in addition to the Crystal Report).
This could be done by either automating Word, or creating an HTML document and
opening that in Word (or WordXML, if we're talking about Word 2003).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)