Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Talbott[_2_] Joseph Talbott[_2_] is offline

Default IncludeText Field Code

I am experimenting with creating a master document from several subdocuments
using the IncludeText code. So far, as long as I don't mess up the path, it
works well. My question is this: When I list each IncludeText field on a
separate line in the "master" document, the resulting imported text includes
the paragraph return at the end of the line with the field code and this
means that I end up with a double return between subdocuments. The only way I
have found to work around this is to, essentially, place all of the field
codes in the same paragraph. It works, but for a document with a lot of
subdocuments, it is very messy. I tried inserting a manual return at the end
of the field code but that messed up the style of the first line of the
following subdocument. Is there a way to place the each field code on a
separate line (paragraph?) without bringing in the extra return with the
imported text?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Joseph,

If you bookmark all of each source document except for the final paragraph mark, you can then add the bookmark name to the
INCLUDETEXT field and Word will import all except that troublesome last paragraph mark. See Word's help file for further details.

Note: if it makes things any easier, all the source documents can have the same bookmark names.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Joseph Talbott" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Talbott[_2_] Joseph Talbott[_2_] is offline

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't tried the bookmark option yet and that may
just be the ticket. I certainly understand about the final paragraph mark.
Before I figured that one out some of my documents were quite literally
possessed. I have also used the Insert File option but that really places a
lot of "junk" on the front page when there are many subdocuments.

Joe

.