Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Talbott[_2_] Joseph Talbott[_2_] is offline

Default Nested Styles in Word 2003?

Is it possible to create a nested style in Word 2003? An example would be to
make the first sentence of a paragraph Body Text bold but the rest of the
paragraph plain Body Text. I have used this type of style with Adobe InDesign
but haven't found a way to make it work in Word. It's not a big issue for me
as I have used character formatting over the Body Text style where
appropriate but I am curious.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Word can do this, but not with "nested styles" (there is no such
concept in Word). Instead, there is a way to apply a style to only
part of a paragraph. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:41:01 -0700, Joseph Talbott
wrote:

Is it possible to create a nested style in Word 2003? An example would be to
make the first sentence of a paragraph Body Text bold but the rest of the
paragraph plain Body Text. I have used this type of style with Adobe InDesign
but haven't found a way to make it work in Word. It's not a big issue for me
as I have used character formatting over the Body Text style where
appropriate but I am curious.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Talbott[_2_] Joseph Talbott[_2_] is offline

Thanks Jay,

My question isn't really about getting the bold text into the TOC. I
understand how to use TC fields to insert "extra" entries into the TOC. What
I am trying to determine is whether Word has the capability of having a
paragraph style which will allow your to apply the character styls "bold" up
to the first period in the paragraph? I am thinking that it is not an option
but I wanted to throw it out anyway. I am working on very large documents
(2000+ pages) and we use numbered headings for all of our TOC level
organization but also use bold leading sentences to organize some lower level
information.

InDesign allows for the application of character styles (bold, italic, etc.)
from a designated point (e.g. the start of a paragraph) to another designated
point (e.g. the first period or the third space (if you just wanted to bold
the first three words of a paragraph)) while retaining the rest of the
paragraph in the original paragraph style. It is a convenient feature and
allows for the assignment of embedded document navigation features by just
clicking in the paragraph and assigning a paragraph style.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it's not a deal breaker. I use Word for
90% of my word processing and publishing and that's not going to change. I
just wondered if anyone had found an undocumented capability in Word that I
had not yet stumbled upon.

There are just too many instances of setting the first sentence to bold in
the long documents to use the TC feature and I would probably only confuse
others who might view the documents with non-printing characters displayed.

Thanks for responding.

Joe

wrote:

Is it possible to create a nested style in Word 2003? An example would be to
make the first sentence of a paragraph Body Text bold but the rest of the
paragraph plain Body Text. I have used this type of style with Adobe InDesign
but haven't found a way to make it work in Word. It's not a big issue for me
as I have used character formatting over the Body Text style where
appropriate but I am curious.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Talbott[_2_] Joseph Talbott[_2_] is offline

As a follow-up. Using the "Lead-in emphasis" method of assigning a heading
style to the first part of a paragraph is quite useful for including
additional content in the TOC. Although it isn't directly related to my
original question, I can see how it can come in handy. Thanks for including
the links Jay.

wrote:

Is it possible to create a nested style in Word 2003? An example would be to
make the first sentence of a paragraph Body Text bold but the rest of the
paragraph plain Body Text. I have used this type of style with Adobe InDesign
but haven't found a way to make it work in Word. It's not a big issue for me
as I have used character formatting over the Body Text style where
appropriate but I am curious.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word can't do this as you type. It *might* be possible to accomplish (after
you've typed the text) with a macro or a wildcard search. If no one here
knows a way, it would be worth asking in a programming newsgroup such as
microsoft.public.word.vba.general.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP