Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Talbott[_2_] Joseph Talbott[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2003 Paragraph Numbering when combining multiple documents

I have a multi-chapter document when has paragraphs numbered 1., 1.1.,
1.1.1., 2., 2.1., etc. where the first digit signifies the chapter. I am
using heading styles to organize the numbering in the document and it works
well - when all of the chapters are in a single document. To facilitate
editing and review, I have broken each chapter into a separate document with
the idea that I would either combine them using "Insert File" or
"IncludeText" fields. I am also using RD fields to create a master TOC and
Index for the "combined" document.

I have discovered that, when I break out each chapter to a single document,
the paragraph numbers default to 1., 1.1., 1.1.1., etc. no matter what
chapter I am in and this is the number that gets brought into the TOC and
combined document when I use "Insert File." I have gone back and reset the
chapter numbering to start at the appropriate number and I can print it
correctly but the paragraph numbering reverts to 1. either when I close or
open the document. I have "update fields when printing" unchecked but don't
see another toggle that would keep the paragraph numbers from changing.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you are seeing shouldn't happen. Did you make sure to set up heading
numbering correctly (as explained in the article at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...mbering.html)?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Joseph Talbott" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Talbott[_2_] Joseph Talbott[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2003 Paragraph Numbering when combining multiple document

ueThanks Stefan,

My first response was to say that I carefully followed Shauna's guide when I
set up my numbering scheme but then I thought it might be a good time to
re-read her article to see if I might pick up something new. Well, that was
it. Somewhere in the process of setting up the single-chapter files, the
"Automatically update document styles" box on the Templates and Add-ins
dialogue box got checked and since I made a copy of the compiled document
when I created each chapter file, the error propagated to all of the new
documents.

It's all good now. Thanks for the reminder.

Joe

.