Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Disappearing field contents

Make sure that you don't have one or more blank paragraphs formatted in the
style referenced by the STYLEREF field.

If you find any blank paragraphs, apply the Normal style (Ctrl+Shift+N) to
them or, which is better, delete the blank paragraph and make use of Spacing
Before or Spacing After instead.

In order to more easily locate blank paragraphs, display paragraph marks (¶)
as well as other nonprinting marks, for example by by pressing Ctrl+Shift+8
(acts as a toggle).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Joseph Talbott" wrote:

I am using Styleref fields in my document footers to aid in document
navigation. On a couple of occasions I have had the text referenced by the
field simply not appear in the footer. (e.g. I will see the correct text
appear in the footer of page preceeding the one that is missing (same footer,
same section, same odd/even page) but nothing in the footer on the page in
question. In all cases I can right-click with the insertion point in the
location where the field should be and toggle the codes to see the Styleref
code but as soon as I toggle back or update fields everything goes away.
There is no error message indicating that the field can't be found, just no
text.
I am using MS Word 2003 and Windows XP Pro.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joseph Talbott[_2_] Joseph Talbott[_2_] is offline

Thanks Stefan. You earned your "wizard" award for the day! There was, in
fact, a blank paragraph (following the TOC of course) with the referenced
style. All is good now.
Joe