mcourtne

Default justification and excess spacing

I'm working with columns in my document. Because each column has short lines
and I'm using justification, there is excess spacing between some words. Is
there any way to minimize the spacing? Years ago in another program
(Multimate, I think), there was an option called modified justification that
spread the words evenly, while keeping the justification. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

mcourtne

Thanks for your help. I ended up condensing or expanding character spacing
in areas that were particularly bad. Hopefully Microsoft will address this
in future versions of Word.

"mcourtne" wrote in message
I'm working with columns in my document. Because each column has short

lines
and I'm using justification, there is excess spacing between some words.

Is
there any way to minimize the spacing? Years ago in another program
(Multimate, I think), there was an option called modified justification

that
spread the words evenly, while keeping the justification. Any help would

be
greatly appreciated.

Klaus Linke

"mcourtne" wrote:
Thanks for your help. I ended up condensing or expanding character
spacing in areas that were particularly bad. Hopefully Microsoft will
address this in future versions of Word.

It's already a featu You can use "distributed" text (Ctrl+Shift+J) instead of "justified" text (Ctrl+J).
But it's generally considered bad typography. It's an option because distributed text is useful with Asian scripts.

Greetings,
Klaus

hennie

There is an option you can use to reduce the spaces when justifying. Go
to tools/options/compatibility and find the option "Do full
justification like WordPerfect 6.x for Windows."

Hennie

--
hennie