bikerick

Default how can I append one table onto another

I want to combine tables, but a solid line appears under the end of one
separating them; how can I combine them into one? (I could not find an answer
to this apparently simple question anywhere.)
Doug Robbins

If you delete the paragraph mark that separates the tables, they will be
combined. The solid line that you are talking about may be a border that
can be modified using the Format Borders and Shading dialog.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"bikerick" wrote in message
news
I want to combine tables, but a solid line appears under the end of one
separating them; how can I combine them into one? (I could not find an
answer
to this apparently simple question anywhere.)

Doug Robbins

Sounds like the paragraph mark between the tables has been formatted as
hidden. From the Tools menu, select Options and then go to the View tab and
check the Hidden Text box so that the paragraph mark will be displayed.
Then you will be able to delete it.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

If you delete the paragraph mark that separates the tables, they will be
combined. The solid line that you are talking about may be a border that
can be modified using the Format Borders and Shading dialog.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a
paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"bikerick" wrote in message
news
I want to combine tables, but a solid line appears under the end of one
separating them; how can I combine them into one? (I could not find an
answer
to this apparently simple question anywhere.)

This is a most puzzling phenomenon that sometimes occurs in recent versions
of Word. Make sure that neither of the tables is wrapped or nested and that
none of the rows of the second table is marked as a heading row. If all else
fails, you may just have to add rows to the top table and paste the bottom
one into them. No one has quite figured out what's going on with these
obstinate tables, but it must be a touch of document corruption.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

If you delete the paragraph mark that separates the tables, they will be
combined. The solid line that you are talking about may be a border

that
can be modified using the Format Borders and Shading dialog.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a

paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"bikerick" wrote in message
news
I want to combine tables, but a solid line appears under the end of one
separating them; how can I combine them into one? (I could not find an
answer
to this apparently simple question anywhere.)

bikerick

There were no hidden paragraph marks. I do not know how to make sure that
neither of the tables is wrapped or nested and that none of the rows of the
second table is marked as a heading row. Cutting and pasting a row from the
second table to the first did not work; but adding rows to the first table,
highlighting them, copying text from the second table, and pasting it into
the highlighted empty rows worked. What a pain! but thanks, Rick

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

If you delete the paragraph mark that separates the tables, they will be
combined. The solid line that you are talking about may be a border

that
can be modified using the Format Borders and Shading dialog.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a

paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"bikerick" wrote in message
news I want to combine tables, but a solid line appears under the end of one
separating them; how can I combine them into one? (I could not find an
answer
to this apparently simple question anywhere.)

To assure that the second table is not wrapped, right-click and choose Table
Properties. On the Table tab, make sure that wrapping is set to None. To
make sure there are no heading rows, select the entire table, go to Table
Properties, and look at the Row tab. Make sure that "Repeat as header row"
is not checked (even if dimmed).

Nesting is more difficult (and less likely). If push comes to shove, use
Table | Convert | Table to Text. There's a box to check for "Convert nested
tables." AFAICS, it's always checked and dimmed whether you have nested
tables or not, so go ahead and do the conversion. Trim out any extraneous
paragraphs that might be produced in this process and then convert back to a
table.

FWIW, I wasn't suggesting trying to paste rows into the first table but just
what you did--creating new rows and pasting in the text (even though it can
be a real pain).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is a most puzzling phenomenon that sometimes occurs in recent

versions
of Word. Make sure that neither of the tables is wrapped or nested and

that
none of the rows of the second table is marked as a heading row. If all

else
fails, you may just have to add rows to the top table and paste the

bottom
one into them. No one has quite figured out what's going on with these
obstinate tables, but it must be a touch of document corruption.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"bikerick" wrote in message
news I want to combine tables, but a solid line appears under the end of

one
separating them; how can I combine them into one? (I could not

find an
answer
to this apparently simple question anywhere.)

bikerick

Thank you. The second table was not wrapped. But, then I converted table to
text and back and then it appended to the previous one; so I guess there was
a nested table that was removed by this procedure. Wow! Rick

"bikerick" wrote in message
news I want to combine tables, but a solid line appears under the end of

one
separating them; how can I combine them into one? (I could not

find an
answer
to this apparently simple question anywhere.)

Copying a Table Into a Table Karen Microsoft Word Help 1 January 14th 05 03:06 PM
Table Issues Karen Microsoft Word Help 4 January 5th 05 07:43 PM
Any way to link text with Figure or Table number? Richard Stanford Microsoft Word Help 1 January 4th 05 02:32 PM
Table of Content problem Vincdc Microsoft Word Help 6 December 23rd 04 08:01 PM
COPY TABLE INTO LABEL Kitty Microsoft Word Help 1 December 10th 04 02:26 PM