sanjeeev

Default Mail merge Deployment issue with ASP.net and alternative ??

I have done Mail merge application written in ASP.NET , C#, which
works fine when run from the localhost. However after deploying on
server it does not respond as the interop office dll is not registered
on server. Atfer doing some research on web i came across an article
from mircosoft, which says that it does not recomend office automation
from server as it has issue of security , scalablity , threading and
so on.

Now I am little confused what i should do? As i have shown this
article to mysys admin and he refused me for registering the dlls.

Is there any alternative to mail merge?? what is the other step one
can take to make it work from serverside.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Sanjeeev,

Which version of Office is involved?

I have done Mail merge application written in ASP.NET , C#, which
works fine when run from the localhost. However after deploying on
server it does not respond as the interop office dll is not registered
on server. Atfer doing some research on web i came across an article
from mircosoft, which says that it does not recomend office automation
from server as it has issue of security , scalablity , threading and
so on.

Now I am little confused what i should do? As i have shown this
article to mysys admin and he refused me for registering the dlls.

Is there any alternative to mail merge?? what is the other step one
can take to make it work from serverside.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org