Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Default Fix re track chnages bug Word 2000.

GM all.

A little while ago I reported on here an apparent bug with Windows 2000,
where if display changes is toggled on and then off again, several
paragraphs get lost from the document. Terry mentioned that he thought this
was a known bug, for which Microsoft had issued a patch. Where exactly do I
get that patch? The MS site is very difficult to navigate. I already have sr
1 and 3 installed, so presumably this patch comes after those? Any help
would be appreciated..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Terry, thanks but why is this handled differently to all the other fixes and
packs? How on earth does one go about 'calling Microsoft' in Australia, I
wonder?

BTW, have discovered and verified a most peculiar phenomenon this morning.
After this problem occurs and the text is partially missing from the screen,
the printing is also all garbled with overprints. But the file is *not*
actually corrupted. If the apparently spoiled file is saved and then
reloaded all is OK. So I surmise this is a display and print problem and not
a file problem?

"aalaan" wrote in message
GM all.

A little while ago I reported on here an apparent bug with Windows 2000,
where if display changes is toggled on and then off again, several
paragraphs get lost from the document. Terry mentioned that he thought
this was a known bug, for which Microsoft had issued a patch. Where
exactly do I get that patch? The MS site is very difficult to navigate. I
already have sr 1 and 3 installed, so presumably this patch comes after
those? Any help would be appreciated..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In that case, it may be the printer driver that's at fault. the stock
answer: make sure that you have the latest driver for your printer and then
delete and reinstall the printer. (Of course, it may be the graphics but the
printer is easier to deal with!)

Terry

"aalaan" wrote in message
GM all.

A little while ago I reported on here an apparent bug with Windows 2000,
where if display changes is toggled on and then off again, several
paragraphs get lost from the document. Terry mentioned that he thought
this was a known bug, for which Microsoft had issued a patch. Where
exactly do I get that patch? The MS site is very difficult to navigate.
I already have sr 1 and 3 installed, so presumably this patch comes
after those? Any help would be appreciated..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

....and further to that. So far it only appears to be one document and it
always 'loses' text from the same places, so that suggests something
specific to the document? Also, as saving and reloading recovers the text,
surely that can't be related to the printer driver?

"aalaan" wrote in message
GM all.

A little while ago I reported on here an apparent bug with Windows
2000, where if display changes is toggled on and then off again,
several paragraphs get lost from the document. Terry mentioned that he
thought this was a known bug, for which Microsoft had issued a patch.
Where exactly do I get that patch? The MS site is very difficult to
navigate. I already have sr 1 and 3 installed, so presumably this
patch comes after those? Any help would be appreciated..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi aalaan

1. Microsoft is in North Ryde:
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=australia

2. If you're experiencing a problem with just one document, then it's almost
certainly a problem with that document, not a wholesale bug in Word that
affects everyone with Windows 2000. Try saving the document as an HTML file,
then close Word, re-open and open the document. Or, try the other
suggestions at
How can I recover a corrupt document or template - and why did it become
corrupt?
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

3. The printer driver has an enormous effect on the way that Word displays
documents. Word constantly interrogates the printer driver to determine what
the printer is capable of (eg how close to the edge of the page can it
print). Word is also very heavy on graphic display, and old or wrong graphic
drivers cause many of the problems people experience with Word.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"aalaan" wrote in message
GM all.

A little while ago I reported on here an apparent bug with Windows
2000, where if display changes is toggled on and then off again,
several paragraphs get lost from the document. Terry mentioned that he
thought this was a known bug, for which Microsoft had issued a patch.
Where exactly do I get that patch? The MS site is very difficult to
navigate. I already have sr 1 and 3 installed, so presumably this
patch comes after those? Any help would be appreciated..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Thanks Shauna

Tried the HTML method. No luck. Tried deleting and reinstalling printer
driver. No luck.

Further experiments this morning show the problem to be completely
repeatable, in detail:

If I toggle on 'display changes' to an edited document and then toggle off
again, some of the text disappears from the screen (and the page count
changes to a lower figure than previously (of course I'm not comparing the
page count with 'display on' to the count with it off! I mean the count with
'off' is different to the count with 'off' before trying the
toggle/untoggle). Printing the pages around where the lost stuff is gives an
overprinted garbage result. Saving the apparently corrupted file (as .doc)
and then reloading it removes the problem - ie the file itself appears OK).

Any more ideas?