Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BARRY BARRY is offline

Default How to get latest version of Notepad

I need a cheap, simple, reliable program for taking notes. My versions of
Notepad, Wordpad and Works are all buggy. I can buy the latest Wordpad, but I
don't even need anything as fancy as that. Can I buy Notepad somewhere?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ChesterCoronel ChesterCoronel is offline

Wordpad and Notepad is part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System. You
cannot purchase them seperately.

I believe you want a simple, reliable program for taking notes, so I would
recommend Microsoft Office OneNote 2007.

--
Chester C. Coronel
Junior BSIT Student

"Barry" wrote:

I need a cheap, simple, reliable program for taking notes. My versions of
Notepad, Wordpad and Works are all buggy. I can buy the latest Wordpad, but I
don't even need anything as fancy as that. Can I buy Notepad somewhere?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BARRY BARRY is offline

Yeah, I meant MS Works was what I could get. I basically just need a text box
with a search and a save feature. I don't want to spend $99 for it. One of
the problems with my version of Notepad is that when I copy a line that
wraps, a line break gets copied, causing the text to be truncated when pasted
into the address bar or search box of IE 7. But there are other really
annoying bugs too. I think I'll use Wordpad for now.

"ChesterCoronel" wrote:

Wordpad and Notepad is part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System. You
cannot purchase them seperately.

I believe you want a simple, reliable program for taking notes, so I would
recommend Microsoft Office OneNote 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

*Your* version of Notepad will be the same as everyone else's. It's a simple
text editor included with the Windows operating system. You can choose
whether to display with lines wrapped to the screen or not, but if you press
enter to complete a line then you get a line break. If you use the natural
wrapping abilities of Notepad then text created in it is not broken when you
copy and paste to IE7. There are no bugs in the program, but it may have a
few limitations.

WordPad is much the same. but has a few more functions including search.

Works has an even more advanced Word processor.

None of these have anything to do with Word, which is the subject of this
forum.

"ChesterCoronel" wrote:

Wordpad and Notepad is part of the Microsoft Windows Operating
System. You cannot purchase them seperately.

I believe you want a simple, reliable program for taking notes, so I
would recommend Microsoft Office OneNote 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BARRY BARRY is offline

I wasn't able to reproduce the problem today, but I confirmed the problem
several times over the last three days. Yesterday I recreated the parts of
the document that were causing the problem and everything's fine now. If I
reproduce it, I'll post to Office General Questions.

Well, as long as this came up, another problem was that when I copied from
Notepad to MS Works, deleted the paragraph marks, copied from MS Works back
to Notepad, and copied from Notepad to the IE address bar, the text would
still be truncated, but if I saved the Notepad document and reopen it before
copying from Notepad to the IE address bar, the text wouldn't be truncated.
Maybe the ANSI encoding that I saved it with eliminated the line breaks, but
that's what I thought I had done in MS Works.

Yet another problem was when I'd try backspacing in Notepad to join two
lines where there had been a line break, then copied the line and pasted it
in MS Works or the IE address bar, it would still be broken/truncated. There
must have been some kind of line break in there that Notepad can't render or
delete but that can still be copied to the clipboard.

My version of Notepad is 5.1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BARRY BARRY is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

There are no bugs in the program, but it may have a
few limitations.

I posted about the bug at:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...2-e55b312ee180