Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Bill Billmire Bill Billmire is offline

Default Word2007 : TOC Issue

In Word 2007...

I am having some unusual behavior with TOC entries.

I have a paragraph where I want the beginning words (e.g.,
Activation/Deletion to be at the heading 2 level. Then the remainder of the
paragraph, just "Body Text" or "Normal". However, when I generate (or
update) the TOC the entire Paragraph is showing up in the TOC... In previous
verions of word I was able to pull specific words or phrases out of a
paragraph for the TOC, without having the TOC include the entire paragraph in
the TOC.

TIA
--
Bill Billmire
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

In Word 2007, you will need to use the Style Separator command.

Type the text that you want in the TOC - press Enter between that text and
the ones that you do NOT want in the TOC. Format the text that you do want
with your Heading 2 style. Then press CTRL+ALT+ENTER which will effectively
"hide" the first paragraph and join the second paragraph so that it appears
that you highlighted and formatted the text separately.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"Bill Billmire" wrote in message
In Word 2007...

I am having some unusual behavior with TOC entries.

I have a paragraph where I want the beginning words (e.g.,
Activation/Deletion to be at the heading 2 level. Then the remainder of
the
paragraph, just "Body Text" or "Normal". However, when I generate (or
update) the TOC the entire Paragraph is showing up in the TOC... In
previous
verions of word I was able to pull specific words or phrases out of a
paragraph for the TOC, without having the TOC include the entire paragraph
in
the TOC.

TIA
--
Bill Billmire

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Bill Billmire Bill Billmire is offline

Awesome - Thanks! That did the trick... I was looking for the Style
Separator (tool/command) but I couldn't find it in Word 2007.
--
Bill Billmire

"Dawn Crosier, Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

You can add it to your Quick Access Toolbar if you like...
Click the down arrow next to your QAT
Select More Commands
Change the "Choose Commands from:" to All Commands
Locate Style Separator in the lower list
Click the Add button
Then the OK button

--

"Dawn Crosier, Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Bill Billmire Bill Billmire is offline

Thanks again Dawn! That does make it very handy indeed...
I'll also spend some time rooting through the very lengthy lst of additional
commands/options. Can you recommend a good reference book for Word 2007?
--
Bill Billmire