Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
thermoregulator thermoregulator is offline

Default Keep units together with units of measurement

Is there a way to link 'units of measurement' with the value that precedes it
and thus keep the two together on the same line. Here is an example of what
I'm trying to do.

Say I type 'x /sec' - x being any value and separated from the unit of
measurement with a space. I would like to have Word convert '2 /sec' to '2
s-1' ('-1' is superscripted) and recognize that the value that precedes the
unit of measurement, and the superscript in the unit of measurement, should
not be line-separated.

Toward finding a solution I have '/sec' autocorrected to 's-1'.
Unfortunately it does not stay together if at the end of the line. I would
prefer not having to 'ctrl-shift-hypenate' for every instance when
superscripted hyphens are used. There's also the issue of recognizing the
value that precedes the unit of measurement as being part of the measurement
so it too doesn't get separated.

Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In any document, enter the following characters:
Ctrl+Shift+spacebar
Ctrl+Shift+hyphen
1

Format the -1 as a superscript. Select all four characters. Go to Tools
AutoCorrect Options. Click the "Formatted text" option button -- you should
now see the four characters formatted the same way as in the document, with
the superscript. Enter /sec (or even just /s) in the Replace box, and click
the Add button.

When using this AutoCorrect entry, don't type a space between the number and
the slash. Just type, for example, 2/s followed by a space, punctuation, or
the Enter key. The AutoCorrect entry will supply the space, which is a
nonbreaking space; and the minus sign will be a nonbreaking hyphen. Word
won't break a line anywhere between the start of the number and the end of
the superscript -1.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

thermoregulator wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
thermoregulator thermoregulator is offline

Did the trick. Thanks.