Travis

Default W2K's dad-burn'd *&%! ellipsis

Hi, All,

Does anyone know how to get a tri-dot "ellipsis" with three periods ...
without Word 2000 changing it into its own, non-text-exportable (and miserably
small) _character_ for ellipsis ...?

I have no idea what will be displayed, but perhaps you've encountered the
phenomenon. Using a period with a space in between each of the three will preserve a
true ellipsis, but then it's too big.

"ellipsis" is in the Help index, even a key word, but all I get on selecting it is
info on tab stops!

Many thanks,

Travis

JulieD

Hi Travis

as soon as word changes the ... do ctrl & z (shortcut key combo for undo) to
undo the change - also you could choose tools / autocorrect (options) - find
the ... entry and delete it

Cheers
JulieD

"Travis" travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote in message
Hi, All,

Does anyone know how to get a tri-dot "ellipsis" with three periods ...
without Word 2000 changing it into its own, non-text-exportable (and
miserably small) _character_ for ellipsis ...?

I have no idea what will be displayed, but perhaps you've encountered the
phenomenon. Using a period with a space in between each of the three will
preserve a true ellipsis, but then it's too big.

"ellipsis" is in the Help index, even a key word, but all I get on
selecting it is info on tab stops!

Many thanks,

Travis

Daiya Mitchell

If you type three dots, Word changes it into an ellipis because in Tools |
AutoCorrect, there is an entry for that under "replace text as you type".
You can simply delete the entry, and Word will leave it as three periods,
but then AutoCorrect capitalization fires, and I think the three dots will
break at lines.

You can make your own ellipsis as you like it, and use that as the
AutoCorrect entry for 3 dots instead, and set an Exception for
capitalization.

I am not sure how you would get your ideal non-breaking ellipsis.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

On 1/6/05 9:03 AM, "Travis" wrote:

Hi, All,

Does anyone know how to get a tri-dot "ellipsis" with three periods ...
without Word 2000 changing it into its own, non-text-exportable (and miserably
small) _character_ for ellipsis ...?

I have no idea what will be displayed, but perhaps you've encountered the
phenomenon. Using a period with a space in between each of the three will
preserve a
true ellipsis, but then it's too big.

"ellipsis" is in the Help index, even a key word, but all I get on selecting
it is
info on tab stops!

Many thanks,

Travis

TF

To follow on...

to make your own ellipsis, enter a stop, a non-breaking space
(Ctrl+Shift+Space), a stop, a non-breaking space and a final stop. It is too
wide now, so select the ellipsis and use Format, Font and adjust the
character spacing to say -0.5pt. This will reduce the spacing until it looks
more like an ellipsis. Adjust the character spacing until it looks as you
want. Now select it and save it as an AutoText entry or even replace the
AutoCorrect entry for the ellipsis with it.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
[...]

Travis

Daiya,

I was able to "re-instruct" auto-correct's take on the ellipsis by deleting the
rule, then replacing it with a new rule: three periods to be replaced by three
periods, rather than the un-text-exportable "ellipsis" character (most of my stuff
goes out as text in inclusions). Whether or not this keeps the auto-cap from
breaking them at lines remains to be seen, but merely deleting the rule would almost
surely do so.

Many thanks!

Travis

.. .

On 1/6/05 9:03 AM, "Travis" wrote:

Hi, All,

Does anyone know how to get a tri-dot "ellipsis" with three periods ...
without Word 2000 changing it into its own, non-text-exportable (and miserably
small) _character_ for ellipsis ...?

I have no idea what will be displayed, but perhaps you've encountered the
phenomenon. Using a period with a space in between each of the three will
preserve a
true ellipsis, but then it's too big.

"ellipsis" is in the Help index, even a key word, but all I get on selecting
it is
info on tab stops!

Many thanks,

Travis

Travis

Terry,

Thanks for the suggestion. As per above reply, I was able to "re-instruct"
auto-correct's take on the ellipsis by deleting the
rule, then replacing it with a new rule: three periods to be replaced by three
periods, rather than the un-text-exportable "ellipsis" character (most of my stuff
goes out as text in inclusions).

I wonder if Word would make up a new, un-text-exportable character from the curve
ball thrown by your custom design, or do you think text export would accept the odd
spacing? I may yet have to try it.

Many thanks!

Travis

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
[...]

Travis

Julie,

Dang. I should have tried your idea first, but got into Autocorrect stuff below and
deleted the un-text-exportable Word ellipsis character before I tried a simple undo.
Since I don't really want it back ... I'm commited to having written a new rule.

But your idea has a nice "Occam's Razor," "most simple attack is best approach" that
I like.

Many thanks,

Travis

"JulieD" wrote in message
[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Hi Travis,
I was able to "re-instruct" auto-correct's take on the ellipsis by deleting
the
rule, then replacing it with a new rule: three periods to be replaced by three
periods, rather than the un-text-exportable "ellipsis" character

What's the point of this new rule? Why not just delete the entry, and then
when you type three periods, nothing happens. Isn't that what you wanted?
Whether or not this keeps the auto-cap from
breaking them at lines remains to be seen, but merely deleting the rule would
almost
surely do so.

One of us is confused. The point about Word's ellipsis is that it will stay
together, because it is one character. Three periods may or may not break
at a line (I'm not sure, but I think they will), but the AutoCorrect entry
for the ellipsis doesn't have anything to do with whether Word uses a period
as a trigger to wrap a line. Or am I misunderstanding what you say?

Nor is auto-cap relevant to line wrapping. Auto-cap comes into play because
Word capitalizes any word after a period (unless there is a number before
the period). It will see your ellipsis as three periods (as it is), and
probably capitalize the next word.

Daiya

Travis

Daiya,

Ah the confusion is mine. When I read "then AutoCorrect capitalization fires, and I
think the three dots will
break at lines." I was reading that as the first _causing_ the second, not two
separate consequences.

I'll investigate turning Auto Cap off or creating an exception.

I only recently turned from 1992 Volkswriter (still runs! but won't print under XP)
and am a real dummie with Word. What? You can tell?

I was hoping that my new "rule" would create an exception to line breaking, and,
now, Auto-Cap treating the period as just a period. Hey. There's a "rule"! "Treat
these three periods as a single character." Just deleting the rule indeed gets me
what I want, but, apparently, only until it's broken in a line or the following
letter is capitalized, then I'm back at work struggling to get an exportable
ellipsis.

'Probably won't work, but I'll find out soon enough.

I shall report my findings to the committee.

[...]

To clarify:

1. Deleting the AutoCorrect entry is all that's required. You don't need to
replace it. Replacing three periods with three periods is the same as having
no AutoCorrect entry at all.

2. Word will not break a line after your three periods unless they are
followed by a space, nor will it break a line between the periods unless
there is a space.

3. Word will not capitalize the next word after your three periods unless
they are followed by a space.

4. All the same is true of an ellipsis character (no line breaks, no caps);
moreover, if you press Ctrl+Z to un-correct the AutoCorrection, restoring
the ellipsis to three periods, the effect is the same: no line break, no
caps unless you put a space after the final period.

5. Word does not auto-capitalize after an ellipsis followed by a space,
either, unless the ellipsis is followed by a period (that is, you have typed
four periods, the first three of which have been converted to an ellipsis).

[...]

Travis

So far, pushed to one character within the line break, my good old tri-dot is
treated as one character and moved to the next line intact. Auto-cap respects my new
rule (or the gods have intervened) and treats the ellipsis as a special case. When I
replace it with a single period, Auto-cap is back on the job. I didn't need to make
an exception. My rule rules!

So. For ellipsis: Don't use "period, space, period, space etc." as it's too big and
will just break up and/or trigger Auto-cap (Auto-cap does seem to demand a proper
sentence, so the spaces might prevent capitalization, but they do break up). Don't
just delete the rule that substitutes the Word "micro-ellipsis character" for your
three periods or, same problem. Make up a _new_ rule: "replace three periods with
three periods."

And it exports to text!

Thanks again for your help,

Travis

[...]

TF

The problem with your solution is that three period characters are not glued
together. There's nothing to stop them from breaking apart as they are three
characters and not one character like a real ellipse. You either need to use
a non-breaking spaces between them and adjust the character spacing (as I
suggested) or a zero width non-breaking space between them.

Terry

"Travis" travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote in message
news : Terry,
:
[...]
: ...
: To follow on...
:
: to make your own ellipsis, enter a stop, a non-breaking space
: (Ctrl+Shift+Space), a stop, a non-breaking space and a final stop. It is
too
: wide now, so select the ellipsis and use Format, Font and adjust the
: character spacing to say -0.5pt. This will reduce the spacing until it
looks
: more like an ellipsis. Adjust the character spacing until it looks as
you
: want. Now select it and save it as an AutoText entry or even replace the
: AutoCorrect entry for the ellipsis with it.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "Travis" travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote in message
: ...
: : Hi, All,
: :
[...]

I will merely repeat that none of that is necessary. You can accomplish
exactly the same thing by merely deleting the AutoCorrect entry or pressing
Ctrl+Z after the AutoCorrect fires. All the behaviors you describe are the
inherent default behaviors of three periods.

[...]

TF

Gotcha! Weird though because an ellipsis looks OK to me in virtually all
fonts. All I can only guess that Travis is used to seeing an ellipsis in a
non-proportional font (which looks ugly to me).

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
:I don't believe he intends to have any spaces between them. That was the
: point. If he were typing three spaced periods, they would not be converted
: to an ellipsis.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: The problem with your solution is that three period characters are not
: glued
: together. There's nothing to stop them from breaking apart as they are
: three
: characters and not one character like a real ellipse. You either need to
: use
: a non-breaking spaces between them and adjust the character spacing (as
: suggested) or a zero width non-breaking space between them.
:
: Terry
:
: "Travis" travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote in message
: news : : Terry,
: :
[...]
: : ...
: : To follow on...
: :
: : to make your own ellipsis, enter a stop, a non-breaking space
: : (Ctrl+Shift+Space), a stop, a non-breaking space and a final stop.
It
: is
: too
: : wide now, so select the ellipsis and use Format, Font and adjust the
: : character spacing to say -0.5pt. This will reduce the spacing until
it
: looks
: : more like an ellipsis. Adjust the character spacing until it looks
as
: you
: : want. Now select it and save it as an AutoText entry or even replace
: the
: : AutoCorrect entry for the ellipsis with it.
: :
: : --
: : Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: : http://word.mvps.org/
: :
: : "Travis" travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote in message
: : ...
: : : Hi, All,
: : :
[...]

Travis

Suzanne,

I defer to you, natch, and will remember this if I encounter the problem again. I
visited and marked your Word MVP FAQ site for future pestering.

It really wouldn't matter if I didn't need reliable export to text. My "all-text"
email inclusion stuff is the reason I was able to limp along on Volkswriter all
these years after its demise.

As I noted to Julie above, I got lost in Autocorrect before getting a chance to try
the simple Ctrl-Z undo. And I'm not sufficiently curious to resurrect whatever
character it is that Autocorrect substitutes for the "homemade" ellipsis. It's not
listed in Ctrl-F as one of the "Special" characters.

Many thanks,

Travis

[...]

FWIW, the ellipsis is Unicode character 2026 (ANSI 0133). It's in the
General Punctuation character subset in Insert | Symbol. But my main point
was that you do not need an AutoCorrect entry to replace three periods with
three periods (any more than you need one to replace a with a, b with b,
etc.); just deleting the existing AutoCorrect entry is sufficient.

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.