Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John

Default Selecting word without space for underlining

Problem: Selecting word without space for underlining

Word 2003

When you double click on a word, it selects the entire word and the following space.
When you then click on the underline button, it underlines the entire word and the following space.
This is annoying since you do not want the following space underlined.
How do you select just the word and not the following space?
Is there a ctrl double click, whatever, to do this?
Thank you for any feedback.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Highlight the text you want underlined (spaces and all). Format - Font -
change the underline style to Words only.

If you do that often, you could create a macro. I don't often do macros but
even I could create that one. :-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"John" wrote in message
Problem: Selecting word without space for underlining

Word 2003

When you double click on a word, it selects the entire word and the
following space.
When you then click on the underline button, it underlines the entire word
and the following space.
This is annoying since you do not want the following space underlined.
How do you select just the word and not the following space?
Is there a ctrl double click, whatever, to do this?
Thank you for any feedback.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey

John,

For whatever screwball reason, to Word, a word is the word and the trailing space. Still with my version of Word2003 with ViewOptionsCompatibility set to Word2003 default, the behavior that you describe does not occur (i.e., while the word and space is selected, only the word is underlined). If your compatibility options are set to Word2003, then I can't explain the behavior that you are seeing.

You could assign the following to a keyboard shortcut as a work around:

Sub myCustomClick()
Selection.Expand Unit:=wdWord
If Selection.Characters.Last = " " Then
Selection.End = Selection.End - 1
End If
Selection.Font.Underline = wdUnderlineSingle
End Sub

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:
"John" wrote in message ...
Problem: Selecting word without space for underlining

Word 2003

When you double click on a word, it selects the entire word and the following space.
When you then click on the underline button, it underlines the entire word and the following space.
This is annoying since you do not want the following space underlined.
How do you select just the word and not the following space?
Is there a ctrl double click, whatever, to do this?
Thank you for any feedback.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John

Apparently, the "Add space for underlines" was set in ViewOptionsCompatibility.
Unchecking it corrected the problem.

Curiously, hyperlinks also have the space problem, but there does not appear to be
a checkbox for "Add space for hyperlinks". Your macro would help for that situation.

Thank you for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey

John,

I must admit that I fudged a bit in my reply. I do have "Add space for underlines" checked. It tested with it checked and unchecked and it didn't make any difference here. I can't explain why you had the problem you did. Gald you are fixed.

--
"John" wrote in message ...

Apparently, the "Add space for underlines" was set in ViewOptionsCompatibility.
Unchecking it corrected the problem.

Curiously, hyperlinks also have the space problem, but there does not appear to be
a checkbox for "Add space for hyperlinks". Your macro would help for that situation.

Thank you for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Add space for underlines" refers to line spacing (adding some to ensure
that there is room for underlines to print in single-spaced text), not
spaces between words.

"John" wrote in message

Apparently, the "Add space for underlines" was set in
ViewOptionsCompatibility.
Unchecking it corrected the problem.

Curiously, hyperlinks also have the space problem, but there does not
appear to be
a checkbox for "Add space for hyperlinks". Your macro would help for that
situation.

Thank you for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John