Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default abby 5.0

Hi Susan,

The Abbyy FineReader Sprint v5.0 would be something that came with the Applications provided with the PC or with a printer/scanner.
It's not part of Office. You may want to see if you either have a CD for that or if there is a listing for your brand of PC in
Start=Programs.

If you have the 6.0 version of FineReader available from Abbyy, then you can install that once Office is running again.

Back up your files, restart the PC, and then you can run Setup from the Office CD or from Add/Remove Programs in the Windows control
panel and try a 'repair/reinstall' choice that comes up first.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to uninstall Office 2003, then restart again and install from the CD to the same folder. In
some cases, where you've zapped the registry with a 'cleaner', you may have to also manually remove some of the Office folders as
well it the reinstall doesn't 'take' the first time.

"Susan" wrote in message ...
Yes, and I did run the repair, with the same results. I am understandibly
nervous about uninstalling office and trying to re-install. Does the cd
contain abbyy 5.0? I suppose I shouldn't be so nervous about it, since
office is unusable at this point anyway. How do I go about this? I mean,
after uninstalling, do I go to "add new components" in control panel?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP