Ronnieeee

Default how to get a blank document instead of my last letter displayed

When I do FileNew right away I get my last letter which I closed and saved
properly when I finished it. Even if I press NewBlank Document I get that
self same letter, as well as New from templateNormal - like - get it out
already! I need a blank page!!!!

Ronnieee

Thks but doesn't work, my XP at least doesn't have "show hidden files and
folders" and I was unable to do on my window 2002 whatever was instructed.
Condlusion? Disappointing and misleading trail.
RonnieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHelp!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronnieeee wrote:
When I do FileNew right away I get my last letter which I closed and saved
properly when I finished it. Even if I press NewBlank Document I get that
self same letter, as well as New from templateNormal - like - get it out
already! I need a blank page!!!!

Where are you looking for the command? If you open an Explorer window in
Windows (you may know this as My Computer) and choose Tools | Folder
Options, you should see this radio button in the first screen on the View
tab. I'm quoting this from Windows 2000, but I can't imagine it is that
different in Windows XP.

Ronnieeee wrote:
When I do FileNew right away I get my last letter which I closed and

saved
properly when I finished it. Even if I press NewBlank Document I get

that
self same letter, as well as New from templateNormal - like - get it

out
already! I need a blank page!!!!

JR

Quick & Dirty!!!
Get a new file & delete everything in it.
Then save the file as Normal.dot in the template folder

John

"Ronnieeee" wrote in message
When I do FileNew right away I get my last letter which I closed and
saved
properly when I finished it. Even if I press NewBlank Document I get
that
self same letter, as well as New from templateNormal - like - get it out
already! I need a blank page!!!!

Shauna Kelly

Hi John

It might be worthwhile considering what happens if a user tries this.

I can get a new, blank document, choose File Save and select the
appropriate templates folder. If I then tell Word to save my file as
"normal.dot", Word (a) saves it as a Word document (because the "Save as
type" box is still set to "Word document") and (b) names the file
"normal.dot.doc". The resulting file is a document, not a template, and
won't function as normal.dot is supposed to function. So that won't solve
the original user's problem of having text stored in normal.dot.

Alternatiavely, I can get a blank document, choose File Save, select the
templates folder, tell Word to save the file as a template, and tell Word to
save the file as "normal.dot". I then get an error message saying "Word
cannot give a document the same name as an open document". So that won't
work for me.

As a third possibility, I could do File New and tell Word to create a new
template and try to name it normal.dot. But when I try that, I get the same
error message as before, because Word is, of course, already using
normal.dot. So that doesn't work for me either.

Finally, even if I could easily create a new, blank document and save it
named "normal.dot", it would not function as a 'real' normal.dot. It would
not, for example, have the default autotext entries that enable me to do
things like add page numbers to headers and footers easily.

The conclusions from this are that there are two key points about
normal.dot. First, only Word can create a normal.dot. Second, there are only
two ways to edit normal.dot. In Word, use File Open. Or in Windows
Explorer, right-click and choose Open.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word