Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
K K K K is offline

Default Can you get back your old file from replacing with another file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Not if you did not have the "Always create backup copy" item checked under
ToolsOptionsSave.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Doug Robbins wrote:

Not if you did not have the "Always create backup copy" item checked under
ToolsOptionsSave.

Doug, is there an option somewhere to specify the location for backup
copies? I've not been able to find one. I have a second hard drive which I
use for backups in general and it would be very useful to save Word backups
there automatically.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word does not save a backup copy if you 'save as' over an existing filename.
Word will only save its backups (and they are not true backups, but copies
of the previously saved version) in the same folder as the document. If you
want true backups and saving to another location, you need vba - see
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

Bert Coules wrote:
Doug Robbins wrote:

Not if you did not have the "Always create backup copy" item checked
under ToolsOptionsSave.

Doug, is there an option somewhere to specify the location for backup
copies? I've not been able to find one. I have a second hard drive
which I use for backups in general and it would be very useful to
save Word backups there automatically.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Graham,

Thanks for that I've been playing around with it and it seems to do pretty
much exactly what I want.

One question, if I may: following the linked instructions, I experimentally
dragged the macro onto the File drop-down menu. Can I now do any of the
following?

1. Rename the option (currently "Normal.NewMacros.Savetotwolocations" which
is a tad unwieldy.

2. Set an alt+letter shortcut to run the macro from the File menu.

3. Remove it from the File menu altogether.

Many thanks!

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Graham,

After a bit of mucking about, I've now worked out how to do all three things
I asked about.

However, one further thing has me stumped: I've added "Save with Backup" to
the File menu, and given it the shortcut key Alt+B. But is there any way to
underline the "B" in the File menu entry?

The Customise/rename option allowed me to alter the wording and to add
proper spaces, but selecting the "B" and typing Ctrl+U, as I would when
entering conventional text, has no effect.

Many thanks.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Graham,

I should have apologised for posting those questions without first having a
good rummage around for the answers.

I've still not managed to produce a "B underlined" in the File menu, but I
do have a more serious problem: if I press Alt+B *without* the File menu
displayed, then the Save with Backup macro runs perfectly. However, if I
press it *with* the File menu dropped-down, Word opens the WebPage Preview
feature, which has the shortcut Alt+B by default.

Is there any way of altering the WebPage Preview shortcut? Or of removing
it altogether? I've looked in Customise/keyboard/all commands but though
WebPage Preview is listed I can't find any way of changing the shortcut.

Again, many thanks. I'm grateful for your help.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I wrote:

...I can't find any way of changing the shortcut.

This is getting embarrassing. As soon as I posted the question, the answer
occurred to me: to change the shortcurt, perhaps I should simply assign a
new one to the macro. And it worked.

Sorry all round.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

OK, just in case anyone else is trying to achieve the same result: when
you're Customising a menu item, an ampersand ("&") in front of a letter
causes it to become underlined.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Graham Mayor wrote:

I take it from you later post that you have figured out this part?

I have, thanks. &B becomes B-underlined...

Thanks again for the macro. Now that I have it set up properly and quickly
accessible, it really is exactly what I was looking for.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline